Ella is a girl’s baby name of German and English origin. With a meaning like “fairy maiden”, the name has a magical feel that would be great for any little girl.
Meaning of the name Ella:
German & English: completely, fairy maiden
Origin of the name Ella:
Ella is a Germanic-English baby name meaning “completely” or “fairy maiden”. Ella has been used as a diminutive for names such as Eleanor and Ellen and some names ending in -ella, such as Isabella. The name may also be related to the Hebrew word “alia” meaning “pistachio tree” though this is unconfirmed.
Symbolism of the name Ella:
Fairies are creatures of myth that are mischievous and magical. In England, fairies were treated with great respect so as not to anger them.
Style of the name Ella:
Gender of the name Ella:
Ella is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ella:
EHL-ə (English), EHL-lah (German)
Number of syllables in the name Ella:
Emotion evoked from the name Ella:
Ella evokes feelings of happiness and joy.
Alternative spellings for the name Ella:
Nicknames for the name Ella:
Popularity of the name Ella:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ella has been a top choice for girls since 2002 when it entered the top 100 baby names.
Related names for the name Ella:
Great middle names for the name Ella and their meanings:
- Maris (of the sea)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Grace (grace)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Rose (the flower)
- Florence (flourishing, prosperous)
- Cordelia (heart; daughter of the sea)
- Evangeline (bearer of good news)
Famous people with the name Ella:
- Ella Jane Fitzgerald (American jazz singer)
- Ella Josephine Baker (American civil rights leader)
- Ella Eyre (British singer)
- Ella Purnell (American actress)
- Ella Jenkins (American folk singer)
Ellas in popular culture:
- Ella of Frellmain (literature/film, “Ella Enchanted”)
- Ella Montgomery (television, “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Ella the Elephant (television, “Ella the Elephant”)
- Ella Lorena Kennedy (film, “Gone With the Wind”)
- Ella Herondale (literature, “Infernal Devices” by Cassandra Clare)