The baby name Isabella is a traditional name that is popular especially in Spanish and Italian cultures. The name has since spread to be one of the most popular for girls of any culture though. The baby name is a derivation of the traditional Hebrew name Elizabeth or Elisheba.
Meaning of the name Isabella:
Hebrew: pledged to God, God is my oath
Spanish: pledged to God, God is my oath
Italian: pledged to God, God is my oath
Origin of the name Isabella:
The baby name Isabella is the Latin form of the name Isabel popularized by the English. Both of these names come from the Hebrew name Elizabeth, which is the English version of the traditional Hebrew name, Elisheba. Elizabeth also means “pledged to God,” so Isabelle retained the meaning.
Symbolism of the name Isabella:
Elizabeth was a Hebrew name that received the meaning “pledged to God” first. Isabella is a Latin version in a form of this name. Elizabeth had this meaning as she was a heroine in the Bible who was childless but remained faithful to God, who eventually granted her a child.
Style of the name Isabella:
Gender of the name Isabella:
Female – The gender of the baby name Isabella is primarily female.
Pronunciation of the name Isabella:
ee-za-BEHL-la or iz-e-BEHL-e
Number of syllables in the name Isabella:
Emotion evoked from the name Isabella:
Isabella is a baby name that has a formal and romantic feeling. It feels upper class and as if it could be a name for nobility.
Alternative spellings for the name Isabella:
Nicknames for the name Isabella:
Popularity of the name Isabella:
The baby name Isabella has been on the Social Security Popularity Index since 1900, but it only became popular enough for the top 100 list at number 84 in 1998. The name ascended to the top 20 list in 2002, then the top 10 list in 2004. In 2020, it ranked at number seven overall.
Related names for the name Isabella:
Great middle names for Isabella and their meanings:
- Claire (clear)
- Rosemary (dew of the sea)
- Pauline (small)
- Faith (complete trust, devotion)
- Christine (in Christ's honor)
- Brooke (water, small stream)
- Kate (pure)
Famous people with the name Isabella:
- Isabella Acres (actress, “The Kicks”)
- Isabella Boylston (professional ballerina)
- Isabella Tobias (professional ice dancer)
- Isabella Hadid (professional model)
- Isabella Rice (actress, “Our Friend”)
Isabellas in popular culture:
- Isabella Knightley (character in “Emma” by Jane Austen)
- Isabella Thorpe (character in book by Jane Austen's “Northanger Abbey”
- Isabella Elisabetta (character in “Galavant”)
- Isabella Swan (character in “Twilight”)
- Isabella Garcia (character from “Phineas and Ferb”)
- Isabella Turk (character on “Scrubs”)