Christine is a French girl’s baby name that means “follower of the Chrsitian religion”. Christine had lasting popularity for more than a century although popularity has dropped off in the last decade. Christine is the feminine form of the name Christian.
Meaning of the name Christine:
French: follower of the Chrsitian religion
Origin of the name Christine:
Christine is the feminine French version of the name Christian and refers to a follower of the Chrsitian religion.
Symbolism of the name Christine:
Christine refers to a Christian and is associated with the classic Christian symbols like the cross, crucifix, and Bible.
Style of the name Christine:
Gender of the name Christine:
Christine is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Christine:
KREES-TEEN (French), kris-TEEN (English), kris-TEE-nə (German, Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Christine:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Christine:
Christine evokes feelings of hard work and compassion.
Alternative spellings for the name Christine:
Kristine, Khristine, Cristine, Christiane
Nicknames for the name Christine:
Popularity of the name Christine:
According to the Social Security Administration, Christine has been on the top 1000 since 1900. It fell off of the top 1000 list for the first time in 2020. Christine peaked at #14 in 1970.
Related names for the name Christine:
Great middle names for the name Christine and their meanings:
- Nicole (people of victory)
- Denise (god of Nysa)
- Emilia (rival)
- Rhianna (divine queen)
- Caroline (free man)
- Mirra (admirable, peace, ocean)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Eden (place of pleasure, delight)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Arden (valley of the eagle)
Famous people with the name Christine:
- Christine Jane Baranski (American actress)
- Christine Joan Taylor (American actress)
- Christine McVie (English singer-songwriter of band Fleetwood Mac)
- Christine Janes (English tennis player)
- Christine Bently (American model)
Christines in popular culture:
- Christine Daae (theater, “The Phantom of the Opera” by Gaston Leroux)
- Christine Chapel (television, “Star Trek”)
- Christine (literature, “Christine” by Stephen King)
- Christine Appleby (television, “Coronation Street”)
- Christine Angela Booth (television, “Bones”)