Jessica is a baby name that means “to behold”. The name first appeared in William Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice”. Jessica reigned supreme among baby names with 24 years in the top 10.
Meaning of the name Jessica:
Hebrew: to behold
Origin of the name Jessica:
Jessica is a name that first appears in William Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice”. Jessica likely derives from the Hebrew name Iscah and means “to behold”.
Symbolism of the name Jessica:
Jessica shares the name with a flower that is a bright yellow flowering chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemums stand for honor and respect.
Style of the name Jessica:
Gender of the name Jessica:
Jessica is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jessica:
JEHS-i-kə (English), ZHEH-SEE-KA (French), YEH-see-ka (German, Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Jessica:
Emotion evoked from the name Jessica:
Jessica evokes feelings of wholesomeness and compassion.
Alternative spellings for the name Jessica:
Jessika, Gessica, Yésica, Yéssica
Nicknames for the name Jessica:
Popularity of the name Jessica:
According to the Social Security Administration, Jessica is a popular baby girl’s name that sat in the top 10 from 1976 to 2000 including nine years at number one. It has fallen to #399 as of 2020.
Related names for the name Jessica:
Great middle names for the name Jessica and their meanings:
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Catherine (pure)
- Grace (grace)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Harper (harp player)
- Willow (the willow tree)
- Sage (wise, the herb)
- Rain (rain)
- Phoenix (dark red, firebird)
- Starling (the bird)
- Amber (the precious stone)
- Alexis (defender)
Famous people with the name Jessica:
- Jessica Alba (American actress)
- Jessica Biel (American actress)
- Jessica Chastain (American actress)
- Jessica Simpson (American singer)
- Sarah Jessica Parker (American actress)
Jessicas in popular culture:
- Jessica Jones (media, “Jessica Jones”)
- Jessica Drew aka Spiderwoman (Marvel comics)
- Jessica (Shakespeare's “The Merchant of Venice”)
- Jessica Rabbit (film, “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?”)
- Jessica “Daymain (television, “New Girl”)