Though it sounds modern, Jesse is a very old name. It originated during Biblical times but did not spread until the Protestant Reformation. Now, Jesse is used for boys and girls and has a multitude of spelling variations.
Meaning of the name Jesse:
Hebrew: God's gift
Origin of the name Jesse:
The original Hebrew name that Jesse translates from is Yishay. He was the father of King David and the grandson of Ruth and Boaz in the Old Testament. Due to the importance of this character in the lineage of Jesus, the baby name spread during the Protestant Reformation.
Symbolism of the name Jesse:
Jesse means God's gift as the Bible claims that God brought Ruth and Boaz together. Jesse did have his own gift from God with a blessed family though. His own son was the Israelite king David.
Style of the name Jesse:
Gender of the name Jesse:
Jesse is a baby name for boys or girls.
Pronunciation of the name Jesse:
Number of syllables in the name Jesse:
Emotion evoked from the name Jesse:
Jesse has a rugged feel and is simple. IT is a very attractive name when hearing it too.
Alternative spellings for the name Jesse:
Nicknames for the name Jesse:
Popularity of the name Jesse:
The baby name Jesse was on the top 100 list from 1900 to 1933 and again from 1939 to 1942. The name did decline to the top 200 list for a short time, but from 1972 to 2005, the name was again a top 100 option. As of 2020, Jesse ranks at number 203 on the Social Security Popularity Index.
Related names for the name Jesse:
Great middle names for Jesse and their meanings:
- Elliott (the Lord is my God)
- Rhodes (where roses grow)
- Colton (swarthy person, coal town)
- Bradford (broad ford)
- Diane (divine)
- Vivien (lively)
- Kate (pure, clear)
- Aspen (quaking tree)
Famous people with the name Jesse:
- Jesse Williams (actor, “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Jesse Lingard (professional soccer player)
- Jesse McCartney (pop singer)
- Jesse Rutherford (pop singer)
- Jesse Eisenberg (actor, “Now You See Me”)
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (actor, “Modern Family”)
- Jesse Owens (professional runner)
Jesses in popular culture:
- Jesse (character from “Minecraft” video game)
- Jesse Aarons (character from “Bridge to Terabethia”)
- Jesse Chambers (character from DC comics)
- Jesse St. James (character from “Glee”)
- Jesse Pinkman (character from “Breaking Bad”)
- Jesse Duke (character from “The Dukes of Hazzard”)