Elliott is a popular baby name that has been around since Medieval times. The name is currently ranking the highest it has in the past century, with a spot on the top 200 list. A name that began as a surname and nickname is truly making a place for itself in modern society.
Meaning of the name Elliott:
English: Jehovah is God
Origin of the name Elliott:
Elliott began as a surname in the country of England. It began as a diminutive option for the name Elias, with many families taking on Elliott as a surname. Originally, Elias came from the Hebrew name Elijah.
Symbolism of the name Elliott:
Elliott can trace its background back to the name Elijah. With this in mind, it would make sense that it has the same meaning of “Jehovah is God.”
Style of the name Elliott:
Gender of the name Elliott:
Elliott is a strong name for boys, though some girls get this name as well.
Pronunciation of the name Elliott:
Number of syllables in the name Elliott:
Emotion evoked from the name Elliott:
Elliott feels strong and well-rounded. It is an intelligent name that is somewhat serious too.
Alternative spellings for the name Elliott:
Nicknames for the name Elliott:
Popularity of the name Elliott:
Elliott is the more popular of the two most used spellings, with the other being Elliot. It has been a top 200 name for the past five years, ranking at 192 in 2016. As of 2020, Elliott is rank 158 for boys.
Related names for the name Elliott:
Great middle names for Elliott and their meanings:
- James (supplanter)
- Spencer (steward, administrator)
- Coleman (descendent of Colman)
- Shepherd (shepherd)
- Ross (the steed, the horse)
- Warren (watchman, warden)
- Castor (beaver)
Famous people with the name Elliott:
- Elliott Gould (actor, “Friends”)
- Elliott Sadler (NASCAR driver)
- Elliott Roosevelt (socialite)
- Elliott Tittensor (actor, “Spike Island”)
- Elliott Abrams (diplomat)
- Elliott Carter (composer)
- Elliott Maddox (MLB player)
Elliotts in popular culture:
- Elliott Taylor (character from “E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial”)
- Elliott Rollins (character from “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Elliott (character from “Glee”)
- Elliott (character from “Pete's Dragon”)
- Elliott Brood (title of a country band from Canada)