Elias is a popular Greek boy’s name that has ranked in the top 100 since 2015. While less popular than it’s Hebrew equivalent Elijah, Elias is a good alternative for parents looking for something more unique.
Meaning of the name Elias:
Greek: Yahweh is God
Origin of the name Elias:
Elias is the Greek variant spelling derived from the Hebrew name Elijah meaning “Yahweh is God”.
Symbolism of the name Elias:
St. Elias is the patron saint of weathering storms, thunder, and lightning and a symbol of strength in adversity.
Style of the name Elias:
Gender of the name Elias:
Elias is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Elias:
Number of syllables in the name Elias:
Emotion evoked from the name Elias:
Elias evokes feelings of wisdom and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Elias:
Ilias, Elis, Helias
Nicknames for the name Elias:
Popularity of the name Elias:
According to the Social Security Administration, Elias has been a common baby name in the US since 1900, consistently ranking between #400 and #600, until it rose in popularity in the mid 80’s. Elias has been in the top 100 baby boy names since 2015.
Related names for the name Elias:
Great middle names for the name Elias and their meanings:
- Ryan (little king)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Levi (joined, attached)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Hudson (Hugh’s son)
- Lincoln (town by the pool)
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- Archer (archer, bowman)
- Finn (son of the red-haired one)
- Arlo (free man)
Famous people with the name Elias:
- Elias Charles Disney (Father of Walt Disney)
- Elias Boudinot (American politician)
- Elias Breeskin (Russian violinist)
- Elias Canetti (Nobel Prize winner in Literature)
- Elias James Corey (American chemist)
- Elias Dayton (American politician)
Eliases in popular culture:
- Elias Bogan (Marvel Comics)
- Elias Acorn (comics, Sonic the Hedgehog series)
- Elias Grover (film, “Clerks II”)
- Sergeant Elias Grodin (film, “Platoon”)
- Elias Ryker (literature, “Altered Carbon” by Richard K. Morgan)
- Elias Walker (video game, “Call of Duty: Ghosts”)