Ezekiel is a boy’s baby name of Hebrew origin. Ezekiel is a powerful Old Testament name that has risen in popularity since 2017, overtaking its previously more popular nickname Zeke.
Meaning of the name Ezekiel:
Hebrew: God strengthens
Origin of the name Ezekiel:
Ezekiel is an Hebrew name derived from the ancient Hebrew name Yechezqel. The name is composed of the Hebrew words “chazaq” meaning “strength” and “el” meaning “god”.
Symbolism of the name Ezekiel:
Ezekiel is often associated with strong natural symbols like rock and rich earth that provide a solid foundation to build upon.
Style of the name Ezekiel:
Gender of the name Ezekiel:
Ezekiel is a boy’s name.
Pronunciation of the name Ezekiel:
Number of syllables in the name Ezekiel:
Emotion evoked from the name Ezekiel:
Ezekiel evokes feelings of dependability and wisdom.
Alternative spellings for the name Ezekiel:
Nicknames for the name Ezekiel:
Popularity of the name Ezekiel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ezekiel has been a relatively common baby name since 1900 but it wasn’t until 2017 that the name spiked in popularity and hit the top 100.
Related names for the name Ezekiel:
Great middle names for the name Ezekiel and their meanings:
- Gideon (warrior)
- Malachi (messenger, angel)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Benjamin (son of the south)
- Silas (woods, forest)
- Alex (defender of man)
- Paul (humble)
- Jude (praise)
- Erik (ever ruler)
- Leonard (brave lion)
Famous people with the name Ezekiel:
- Ezekiel Elliott (American football player)
- Ezekiel Henty (Nigerian footballer)
- Ezekiel Kemboi (Kenyan athlete)
- Ezekiel Jiles (American rapper)
- Ezekiel the Tragedian (Greek playwright)
- Ezekiel Nana “Ziggy” Ansah (Ghanian NFL football player)
- Ezekiel (Hebrew prophet)
Ezekiels in popular culture:
- Ezekiel Cheever (theater, Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible”)
- Ezekiel (aka Zeke) (television, “Wizards of Waverly Place”)
- Ezekiel (music, “Ezekiel” by Harry Belafonte)
- Ezekiel (comics, Spider-Man series)
- Ezekiel (television, “Supernatural”)