Hudson is a traditional boy’s baby name that fell out of fashion for nearly a century before making a huge comeback in the mid 90’s. Many famous explorers have been named Hudson such as Henry Hudson and Hudson Stuck so the name had adventure written all over it.
Meaning of the name Hudson:
English: son of heart, mind, spirit
Old German: mighty ruler, brave and hardy
Origin of the name Hudson:
Hudson is a baby name that is derived from an English and German surname meaning “son of Hudd”. Hudd is a diminutive of the names Hugh and Richard.
Symbolism of the name Hudson:
Hudson is symbolized by the crown and scepter, symbols of a fair, brave, and just ruler.
Style of the name Hudson:
Gender of the name Hudson:
Hudson is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Hudson:
Number of syllables in the name Hudson:
Emotion evoked from the name Hudson:
Hudson evokes feelings of adventure and an open heart.
Alternative spellings for the name Hudson:
Nicknames for the name Hudson:
Popularity of the name Hudson:
According to the Social Security Administration, the name Hudson fell out of favor entirely between 1919 and 1995. It has spiked in popularity since 2012 where it has been in the top 100 boy’s names.
Related names for the name Hudson:
Great middle names for Hudson and their meanings:
- Clark (cleric, scribe)
- Andrew (masculine)
- Ash (the ash tree)
- Axel (my father is peace)
- Beau (beautiful)
- Cedric (love)
- Chase (hunt)
- Rusty (reddish-brown)
- Selby (willow farm)
- Seth (appointed)
Famous people with the name Hudson:
- Hudson Stuck (organized first expedition to Mount McKinley)
- Henry Hudson (American explorer)
- Hudson Fysh (Australian co-founder of Qantas Airways)
- Hudson Felipe Gonçalves (Brazilian footballer)
- Hudson Leick (American actress)
- Hudson Maxim (American inventor)
Hudsons in popular culture:
- Hudson Hawk (film, “Hudson Hawk”)
- Doc Hudson (film, Cars franchise)
- Hudson Gimble (television, “Game Shakers”)