Rusty is a great baby name for parents who prefer the unique. Rugged and charismatic, this name often brings levels of likeability and charm to its bearer. Rusty Collins is a Marvel Comics superhero, and Rusty Ryan was an ensemble character on Ocean's Eleven. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Rusty:
Old English: Rust-colored, red-haired, ruddy
Origin of the name Rusty:
Rusty originates from the Old English word rūstig (meaning “red” or “ruddy”). The name indicated that a male had red hair or a ruddy complexion. Alternatively, Rusty is also a nickname for first names like Russell or Ruston.
Symbolism of the name Rusty:
Rusty derives from an Old English word that means “red” or “ruddy.” Known as rūstig, this term also applied to the pigment eventually called “russet.” During the Middle Ages, Franciscan priests, squires, and friars wore russet cloth as a symbol of humility. In England, russet is also the symbol of the season of autumn. The term can also symbolize any type of harvest with an earthy or reddish-brown tone (such as russet potatoes or russet apples).
Style of the name Rusty:
Gender of the name Rusty:
Rusty is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Rusty:
Number of syllables in the name Rusty:
Emotion evoked from the name Rusty:
The name Rusty evokes feelings of willpower and resolve.
Alternative spellings for the name Rusty:
Nicknames for the name Rusty:
Popularity of the name Rusty:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Rusty was the 986th most popular baby name for boys in 1995.
Related names for the name Rusty:
Great middle names for Rusty and their meanings:
- Aldrich (wise ruler)
- Bayley (bailiff, law enforcer, agent)
- Curt (brave counsel, courteous)
- David (beloved)
- Marlowe (driftwood, lake remnants)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Owen (young warrior)
- Peyton (fighting man's estate)
- Skylar (scholar)
- Wallace (Welshman, foreigner)
Famous people with the name Rusty:
- Rusty Anderson (guitarist)
- Rusty Gordon Bryant (saxophonist)
- Rusty Cooley (guitarist)
- Rusty Craig Hamer (actor)
- Rusty Todd Hilger (football player)
- Rusty Humphries (radio host)
- Rusty Jeffers (bodybuilder)
- Rusty Jay Kuntz (baseball player)
- Rusty Paul (politician)
- Rusty Troy (soccer player)
Rusty in popular culture:
- Rusty Collins (Marvel Comics superhero)
- Rusty Riley (titular protagonist of the eponymous comic strip)
- Rusty Ryan (character in Ocean's Eleven)
- Rusty Shackleford (alias of Dale Alvin Gribble in King of the Hill)
- Rusty the Steam Engine (character in the musical Starlight Express)