Hank is a strong and sturdy baby name for boys. Compatible in any context, Hank has a colloquial charm that makes it a permanent fixture in popular culture. Hank Dearborn is the titular protagonist of the classic television series Hank, and Hank Henshaw is a character in the DC Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Hank:
Hank is a diminutive of the name Henry. First popularized in the mid-20th century, Hank is a cognate of the Dutch nickname Henk. The ancestral name Henry derives from the Germanic elements heim (meaning “home”) and ric (meaning “ruler”). In addition, the alternate spelling of Haganrich (with hagan meaning “estate” and ric meaning “rule”) helped produce nicknames like Harry and Hank. This gives Hank a couple of powerful and regal meanings!
Symbolism of the Name Hank:
Hank derives from the Old High German name Haganrich (an alternate spelling of Heimirich). It was a nickname for Henry that parents now use as a standalone name. The German root hagan was the word for “pasture” or “enclosure”, and Haganrich is a fitting title for the lord of the estate. Symbols of estate rule include the hedge, moat, and vassal.
Nicknames for the Name Hank:
As a short name, you might think that Hank doesn't have a lot of nicknames to go with it. You'd be wrong! Hank actually has some awesome nicknames. Some of them are funny, while others are cool or cute. Take a look:
Style of the Name Hank:
Gender of the Name Hank:
Hank is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Hank:
Number of Syllables in the Name Hank:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Hank:
The name Hank evokes feelings of robustness and reliability.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Hank:
Popularity of the Name Hank:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Hank was the 445th most popular baby name for boys in 2022.
Related Names for the Name Hank:
Great Middle Names for Hank and Their Meanings:
- Alan (stone, handsome, noble)
- Clyde (cleansing, warm, friendly)
- Derick (ruler of the people)
- Ellis (kind, benevolent)
- Ethan (solid, enduring, firm)
- Gunnar (warrior)
- Idris (lord, prince, prophet)
- Logan (little hollow)
- Ryan (little king)
- Wayne (wagon maker)
Famous People with the Name Hank:
- Hank Louis Aaron (baseball player)
- Hank Randall Baskett (football player)
- Hank Albert Azaria (voice actor)
- Hank Joe Blalock (baseball player)
- Hank Louis Garland (guitarist)
- Hank Iba (basketball coach)
- Hank Stanley Novak (hockey player)
- Hank Merritt Paulson (banker)
- Hank Williams (singer)
Hank in Popular Culture:
- Hank Dearborn (titular protagonist of the television series Hank)
- Hank Henshaw (character in the DC Comics universe)
- Hank Rearden (protagonist of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand)
- Hank Schrader (character in the television series Breaking Bad)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatiana Katsai/Shutterstock.com.