Hans is a name that brings with it not only a foreign flair, but also one that's deeply familiar. A solid and dependable name, it also feels unique in a way that might not always seem apparent. Read on to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Hans:
German: “God is gracious”.
Origin of the name Hans:
Hans is a name of German origin that means “God is Gracious”.
Symbolism of the name Hans:
Hans typically symbolizes a hope for a strong, solid, and dependable nature in a child.
Style of the name Hans:
Gender of the name Hans:
Hans is a name for baby boys.
Pronunciation of the name Hans:
Number of syllables in the name Hans:
Emotion evoked from the name Hans:
Hans is a name that typically evokes a sense of safety and security, as well as a sense of familiarity.
Alternative spellings for the name Hans:
Nicknames for the name Hans:
Popularity of the name Hans:
According to the Social Security Administration, Hans last ranked as one of the most popular baby names for boys in the United States in 1999, when it was the 949th most popular baby boy name. Hans peaked in popularity in 1967, when it was the 464th most popular name.
Related names for the name Hans:
Great middle names for Hans and their meanings:
- Conrad (brave)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Leopold (brave)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- Fredrick (peaceful ruler)
- Arthur (bear)
Famous people with the name Hans:
- Hans Albert Einstein (engineer, Albert Einstein's son)
- Hans Blix (Swedish diplomat)
- Hans Zimmer (film composer)
- Hans Christian Anderson (author)
Hans in popular culture:
- Hans of the Southern Isles (character, Frozen)
- Hans (character, Saturday Night Live)
- Hans Gruber (character, Die Hard)
- Hans Moleman (character, The Simpsons)