While it's considered a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States, Conrad isn't a name you hear every day. This makes it the perfect choice for parents looking for something fresh but still traditional. The name is associated with literary giants, renowned businessmen, saints, kings and rulers from decades and centuries past. For this reason, many new parents may find their own symbolism and meaning behind the moniker when choosing it for their baby boys.
Meaning of the name Conrad:
German: wise or bold counsel
Origin of the name Conrad:
Conrad is the English version of the German name Konrad. It was derived from the Germanic words “kuon,” which meant bold and “rad,” which meant counsel.
Symbolism of the name Conrad:
Throughout history, several kings, rulers and noblemen have been named Conrad or some variation of the name, so it's often associated with wise and powerful men.
Style of the name Conrad:
Gender of the name Conrad:
Conrad is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Conrad:
Number of syllables in the name Conrad:
Emotion evoked from the name Conrad:
The baby name Conrad evokes the image of someone who is wise and intelligent.
Alternative spellings for the name Conrad:
Nicknames for the name Conrad:
Popularity of the name Conrad:
Conrad has been a top 1,000 baby name in the United States since at least the start of the 20th century. According to the Social Security Administration, it ranked at number 548 in 2020.
Related names for the name Conrad:
Great middle names for Conrad and their meanings:
- Miles (soldier)
- James (supplanter)
- Bennett (blessed)
- Thomas (twin)
- Jude (praised)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Owen (young warrior)
- Dylan (son of the sea)
Famous people with the name Conrad:
- Conrad Aiken (writer)
- Conrad Hilton (businessman)
- Conrad Bain (actor)
- Conrad Janis (actor and musician)
- Conrad Burns (politician)
- Conrad Coleby (actor)
Conrads in popular culture:
- Conrad “Duke” Hauser (character from the G.I. Joe franchise)
- Conrad the Cat (Warner Brothers cartoon character)
- Conrad Ecklie (character from the TV show “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation”)
- Conrad Birdie (character from the musical “Bye Bye Birdie”)
- Conrad McMasters (character from the TV show “Matlock”)