Calvin is an English boy’s name meaning “bald, hairless” and is derived from the French surname Cauvin. Calvin is one of the vintage names that were popular in the 10’s and 20’s that are making a comeback. Calvin was ranked #143 in 2020.
Meaning of the name Calvin:
English: bald, hairless
Origin of the name Calvin:
Calvin is an English boy’s name derived from the French surname Cauvin which means “bald”.
Symbolism of the name Calvin:
Rather than Calvin being a name for someone who was balding, the name may also have meant someone who did not have a beard.
Style of the name Calvin:
Gender of the name Calvin:
Calvin is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Calvin:
Number of syllables in the name Calvin:
Emotion evoked from the name Calvin:
Calvin evokes feelings of intelligence and willpower.
Alternative spellings for the name Calvin:
Nicknames for the name Calvin:
Popularity of the name Calvin:
According to the Social Security Administration, Calvin is a boy’s name that was at peak popularity in the 1920’s. The name has been rising up the popularity charts once more.
Related names for the name Calvin:
Great middle names for Calvin and their meanings:
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- August (great, magnificence)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Felix (lucky, fortunate)
- Silas (woods, forest)
- Sebastian (person from Sebastia)
- Matthew (gift of God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- James (supplanter)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
Famous people with the name Calvin:
- Calvin Coolidge (30th U.S. president)
- Calvin Richard Klein (American fashion designer)
- Calvin “Snoop Dogg” Broadus (American Rapper)
- John Calvin (English reformer)
- Calvin Johnson (American football player)
Calvins in popular culture:
- Calvin, (comics, “Calvin and Hobbes” by Bill Watterson)
- Calvin O'Keefe (literature, “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L'Engle)
- Calvin Fischoeder (television, “Bob's Burgers”)
- Calvin Weir Fields (film, “Ruby Sparks”)
- Calvin Candie (film, “Django Unchained”)