Harvey is a French name that means “battle worthy”. Harvey was very popular between 1900 and 1940. Harvey is one of the vintage baby names making a comeback in the 10’s and 20’s. Harvey is a great alternative to other vintage names Oliver and Felix.
Meaning of the name Harvey:
French: battle worthy
Origin of the name Harvey:
Harvey is a French name that means “battle worthy”. Harvey comes from the Breton name Haerviu from “haer” meaning “battle” and “viu” meaning “worthy”.
Symbolism of the name Harvey:
Harvey is symbolized by a warrior. The name was popular during the Norman Conquest in the 11th century so the image of the Medieval knight comes to mind complete with sword, shield, and armor.
Style of the name Harvey:
Gender of the name Harvey:
Harvey is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Harvey:
Number of syllables in the name Harvey:
Emotion evoked from the name Harvey:
Harvey evokes feelings of bravery and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Harvey:
Nicknames for the name Harvey:
Popularity of the name Harvey:
According to the Social Security Administration, Harvey is a boy’s name that has remained in the top 1000 names since 1900. The name was in the top 100 from 1900 to 1940. Popularity began to increase in 2000.
Related names for the name Harvey:
Great middle names for the name Harvey and their meanings:
- Raymond (wise protector)
- Attticus (from Attica)
- Oscar (deer-lover or champion warrior)
- Arthur (bear)
- James (supplanter)
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
- Miles (soldier or merciful)
Famous people with the name Harvey:
- Harvey Milk (American politician and LGBT activist)
- Harvey Martin (American football player)
- Harvey Spencer Stephens (American actor)
- Harvey Mason (American jazz drummer)
Harveys in popular culture:
- Harvey Dent aka Two Face (Batman franchise)
- Harvey Kinkle (television, “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”)
- Harvey Birdman (television, “Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law”)
- Harvey Bullock (Batman series)
- Dr. Harvey Allen (Marvel Universe)