Harrison is an English baby boy's name that means “son of the home ruler” or “son of Harry”. It is one of the many popular names that were once surnames. Harrison has been steadily increasing in popularity since the late 1970’s and crossed into the top 200 names in 2011.
Meaning of the name Harrison:
English: son of Harry, son of the home ruler
Origin of the name Harrison:
Harrison is a boy’s name that comes from an English surname that means “son of Harry” or “son of the home ruler”.
Symbolism of the name Harrison:
Harrison is related to the name Henry which is a truly royal name with no fewer than eight English kings named Henry.
Style of the name Harrison:
Gender of the name Harrison:
Harrison is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Harrison:
Number of syllables in the name Harrison:
Emotion evoked from the name Harrison:
Harrison evokes feelings of ingenuity and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Harrison:
Nicknames for the name Harrison:
Popularity of the name Harrison:
According to the Social Security Administration, Harrison has been a popular boy’s name since 1900. After a dip in popularity in the 1970’s, Harrison returned to the top 200 names in 2011.
Related names for the name Harrison:
Great middle names for the name Harrison and their meanings:
- Graham (gravelly homestead)
- Parker (park-keeper)
- Landon (long hill)
- Chase (to hunt)
- Jace (healer)
- Dallas (skilled)
- Ranger (forest guardian)
- Pike (weapon, fish)
Famous people with the name Harrison:
- Harrison Ford (American actor)
- Harrison Schmitt (American geologist and astronaut)
- Harrison Craig (Australian pop singer)
- Harrison Otis (American publisher of the L.A. Times)
- Harrison Page (American actor)
Harrisons in popular culture:
- Harrison Morgan (television, “Dexter”)
- Harrison John (television, “Popular”)
- Harrison Wright (television, “Scandal”)
- Harrison Wells (television, “The Flash”)
- Harrison Bergeron (literature, “Harrison Bergeron” by Kurt Vonnegut)