Jasper is an intriguing and distinguished baby name. Conventionally known as a posh and attractive name in Britain, Jasper has recently soared through the ranks of American baby names as well. Jasper Hale is the name of an important character in Twilight, and Jasper Jones is the titular character of the breakthrough Australian novel and film. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Jasper:
Persian: Bringer of treasure
Akkadian, Hebrew: Precious gemstone
Origin of the name Jasper:
Jasper has two separate etymologies. The first origin derives from the Old Persian word ganzabara (“bringer of treasure”). This word evolved into gizbar and translated into Latin as the name Gaspar or Caspar. The ultimate English translation is Jasper.
A second etymology is the ancient Semitic word yashupu or yashpeh (meaning “spotted, speckled stone”). Contextually, the term meant “precious stone.” This word translated into Greek as iaspis and into Latin as iaspidem. The name descended into Old French as Jaspre and eventually became Jasper in English.
Symbolism of the name Jasper:
Jasper is the traditional name of one of the three wise men (also known as the magi or kings) who visited the newborn Jesus. As king of Sheba, Jasper wore a green cloak and a gold crown encrusted with green jewels. The symbol for Jasper is frankincense. Another symbol for Jasper is the gemstone itself (as referenced in Revelation 4:3).
Style of the name Jasper:
Gender of the name Jasper:
Jasper is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jasper:
Number of syllables in the name Jasper:
Emotion evoked from the name Jasper:
The name Jasper evokes feelings of joy and distinction.
Alternative spellings for the name Jasper:
Nicknames for the name Jasper:
Popularity of the name Jasper:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Jasper was the 138th most popular baby boy name. Jasper has ranked among the top 200 names for boys since 2017.
Related names for the name Jasper:
Great middle names for Jasper and their meanings:
- August (exalted, great, magnificent)
- Cedric (loved, kindly, bounty)
- Gideon (great warrior)
- Joaquin (uplifted by God)
- Kade (round, stout, sturdy)
- Knox (round hill)
- Liam (strong-willed warrior)
- Milo (soldier, merciful)
- Phoenix (dark red)
- Shane (God is gracious)
Famous people with the name Jasper:
- Jasper Martin Becker (journalist)
- Jasper Alexander Thirlby Conran (fashion designer)
- Jasper Francis Cropsey (artist)
- Jasper Newton “Jack” Daniels (distiller)
- Jasper Johns (artist)
- Jasper Armstrong Marsalis (son of trumpeter Wynton Marsalis)
- Jasper Nicholas Ridley (banker)
- Jasper Keith Smith (politician)
- Jasper Tudor (member of the Tudor dynasty)
- Jasper Liu Yi-hao (model)
Jasper in popular culture:
- Jasper Beardley (recurring character on The Simpsons)
- Jasper Jacks (character on General Hospital)
- Jasper Jones (titular character of the Australian novel and film)
- Jasper Whitlock Hale (character in the Twilight franchise)
- Jasper Sitwell (espionage agent in the Marvel Comics universe)