Jason is now on the top 200 list, but during the 1970s, this name spent many years in the number two spot for boys. Jason, despite this modern popularity, is a classical name that comes from Greek traditions of ancient history. The name Jason has been important to modern society and baby names, however, as it has assisted in the development of the popularity of names like Jax and Jackson too.
Meaning of the name Jason:
Greek: to heal, healer
Origin of the name Jason:
The baby name Jason comes from Greek mythology. This was the name for the head of the Argonauts. The original Greek name is Iason which literally means “healer,” however. There is also a character named Jason in the New Testament of the Bible who popularized this name among Christians as he was someone who helped Paul. The Protestant Reformation did help spread the name for this reason.
Symbolism of the name Jason:
Jason in Green mythology was a healer of sorts for the Argonauts as he made it his life's mission to find the golden fleece that would help his people. He used the fleece to overtake his uncle and to take back the throne of his people.
Style of the name Jason:
Gender of the name Jason:
Jason is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jason:
Number of syllables in the name Jason:
Emotion evoked from the name Jason:
Jason is a wholesome name that feels like it would belong to a caring and kind-hearted person.
Alternative spellings for the name Jason:
Nicknames for the name Jason:
Popularity of the name Jason:
Though the baby name Jason has been around for centuries, it did not become popular until the 1960s. In 1966, it went to the top 100 list and in 1968, it was already on the top 50 list. In 1974, the name received a place at number two overall, remaining there until 1978 when it became number three until 1980, then number four until 1982. The name Jason now ranks at number 119 as of 2020, but the name stayed on the top 100 list until 2017.
Related names for the name Jason:
Great middle names for Jason and their meanings:
- Connor (lover of wolves, lover of hounds)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Everett (brave, strong boar)
- Zachary (God remembers)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
- Timothy (honored by God)
Famous people with the name Jason:
- Jason Derulo (pop singer, “Take You Dancing”)
- Jason Statham (actor, “Homefront”)
- Jason Mraz (singer, “Have it All”)
- Jason Alexander (actor, “Seinfeld”)
- Jason Beghe (actor, “Chicago P.D.”)
- Jason Dohring (actor, “Veronica Mars”)
Jasons in popular culture:
- Jason Gray (character in “Camp Rock”)
- Jason Grace (character in “The Heroes of Olympus”)
- Jason Dean (character from “Heathers”)
- Jason Todd (character from D.C. comics)
- Jason Sherwood (character from “The English Teacher”)