Ethan has a rugged feel to it, but it is actually a classically Hebrew name. Ethan is the anglicized version of Eitan which is found in the Bible. Currently, the baby name is one of the most popular for boys as it is on the top 20 list.
Meaning of the name Ethan:
Hebrew: firm, strong
Origin of the name Ethan:
Ethan is a name that comes from Biblical times. It is the English version of the Hebrew name Eitan. In modern times, the baby name became popular through the release of the “Mission Impossible” series as it was the name of the main character.
Symbolism of the name Ethan:
The name Ethan originates from the Protestant Reformation with the English-speaking world. It was spread even in America by Ethan Allen. Through this spread, the name only became the anglicized version of Eitan with the same meaning in the Old Testament.
Style of the name Ethan:
Gender of the name Ethan:
Ethan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ethan:
Number of syllables in the name Ethan:
Emotion evoked from the name Ethan:
The baby name Ethan feels rugged and strong. It still does feel mature and formal though.
Alternative spellings for the name Ethan:
Nicknames for the name Ethan:
Popularity of the name Ethan:
The baby name Ethan was on the top 1,000 list in the year 1901 and did not come back to this list until 1952. In 1989, Ethan reached the top 100 list, then reached the top 50 list in 1997. From 2002 to 2016, Ethan was on the top 10 list even reached second place in 2009 and 2010. As of 2020, Ethan is still a top 20 name as it ranks at number 13 for boys.
Related names for the name Ethan:
Great middle names for Ethan and their meanings:
- James (supplanter)
- Brody (from the muddy place)
- Bryson (descendent of Brice)
- Owen (young warrior, noble)
- Presley (priest's meadow)
- Kyle (narrow)
- Joshua (may Jehovah help him)
Famous people with the name Ethan:
- Ethan Allen (hero in the Revolutionary War)
- Ethan Coen (film director, “Fargo”)
- Ethan Erickson (actor, “Santa Switch”)
- Ethan Peck (actor, “10 Things I Hate About You”)
- Ethan Hawke (actor, “Before Sunrise”)
- Ethan Lee (actor, “Mr. Robinson”)
Ethans in popular culture:
- Ethan Gordimer (main character in “Delectably British”)
- Ethan Frome (title character from “Ethan Frome” book)
- Ethan Hunt (main character in “Mission Impossible”)
- Ethan Rom (character on “Lost”)
- Ethan Talbot (character on “Penny Dreadful”)
- Ethan Wate (character from “Beautiful Creatures”)