Kyle is a Scottish boy’s name meaning “narrows, channel, or strait”. Kyle has been a popular baby name for decades and sat in the top 100 names for boys between 1974 and 2009. The name dropped to #313 as of 2020.
Meaning of the name Kyle:
Gaelic: narrows, channel, strait
Origin of the name Kyle:
Kyle is a Scottish name meaning “narrows, channel, or strait” derived from the Gaelic term “caol”.
Symbolism of the name Kyle:
A channel or strait is a narrow body of water like the one separating the British Isles from mainland Europe. Water is often symbolic of creativity and strong emotions.
Style of the name Kyle:
Gender of the name Kyle:
Kyle is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kyle:
Number of syllables in the name Kyle:
Emotion evoked from the name Kyle:
Kyle evokes feelings of youth and loyalty.
Alternative spellings for the name Kyle:
Nicknames for the name Kyle:
Popularity of the name Kyle:
According to the Social Security Administration, Kyle is a popular boy’s baby name that sat in the top 100 from 1974 to 2009. Kyle had fallen to #313 as of 2020.
Related names for the name Kyle:
Great middle names for the name Kyle and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of man)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Elliott (Jehovah is God)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Oscar (deer-lover or champion warrior)
- Finnegan (fair)
- Fitzgerald (son of Gerald)
- Tennyson (son of Dennis)
- Ellery (island with elder trees)
- Harry (estate ruler)
- James (supplanter)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Lucas (man from Lucania)
Famous people with the name Kyle:
- Kyle Larson (American NASCAR driver)
- Kyle Gass (American musician, Tenacious D)
- Kyle Chalmers (Australian swimmer)
- Kyle McCulloch (Canadian voice actor and author)
- Kyle Dale Vanden Bosch (American NFL football player)
Kyles in popular culture:
- Kyle Spencer (television, “American Horror Story: Coven”)
- Kyle Schwartz (television, “South Park”)
- Kyle Reese (film, The Terminator series)
- Kyle Crane (video game, “Dying Light”)
- Kyle Nimbus (television, “The Flash”)