Fitzgerald is a prominent baby name for boys. Known for its origins as an aristocratic surname, Fitzgerald often takes a distinguished role in popular culture. Fitzgerald “Fitz” Grant III is the name of a main character in the Scandal series, and Fitzgerald was also a minor character in the Smurfs series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Fitzgerald:
Norman French, Germanic: Son of the spear ruler
Origin of the name Fitzgerald:
Fitzgerald is an Anglo-Norman and Irish surname that later became a given name. This name combines the Norman-French prefix fitz (meaning “son of”) with the name Gerald. The name Gerald originates from the Old Germanic elements ger (meaning “spear”) and wald (meaning “rule”).
Symbolism of the name Fitzgerald:
Fitzgerald is an Irish surname of Germanic origin that means “son of the spear ruler.” In Proto-Germanic religion, the symbol of the spear ruler was a rune of three interlocked triangles known as the valknut. Fitzgerald became a widespread surname in Ireland after Norman conquerors assimilated into Gaelic culture during the medieval period. The feminine equivalent of the name is Geraldine.
Style of the name Fitzgerald:
Gender of the name Fitzgerald:
Fitzgerald is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Fitzgerald:
Number of syllables in the name Fitzgerald:
Emotion evoked from the name Fitzgerald:
The name Fitzgerald evokes feelings of power and prestige.
Alternative spellings for the name Fitzgerald:
Nicknames for the name Fitzgerald:
Popularity of the name Fitzgerald:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Fitzgerald was the 1,701st most popular baby name for boys in 2021.
Related names for the name Fitzgerald:
Great middle names for Fitzgerald and their meanings:
- Alex (defender of men)
- Carson (son of the marsh dweller)
- Clarence (clear, bright, famous)
- Corbin (raven, crow)
- Dennis (follower of Dionysus)
- Elam (eternal, forever, distant, tree)
- Graham (gray home, gravel homestead)
- Hendrick (home leader, estate ruler)
- Mack (son, descendant, greatest)
- Orson (bear cub)
- Preston (priest's town)
- Toby (God is good)
- Vance (marsh, fen)
- Wolfgang (path of the wolf)
Famous people with the name Fitzgerald:
- Fitzgerald Hamilton Paul Copland-Crawford (soccer player)
- Fitzgerald Gonzalez (animator)
- Fitzgerald Hendrickson (soccer player)
- Fitzgerald Cornelius Henry (Calypso musician)
- Fitzgerald Toussaint (football player)
- Fitzgerald Williams (actor)
Fitzgerald in popular culture:
- Fitzgerald (famous lunar impact crater)
- Fitzgerald (character in the Smurfs series)
- Fitzgerald “Fitz” Grant III (main character in the Scandal series)
- Fitzgerald River National Park (conservation park near Perth, Australia)