Gerald is a baby boy’s name that means “ruler with a spear”. Gerald is a classic name. Gerald stayed in the top 100 names from 1908 to 1971, but it has started to drop in popularity since 2000.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Gerald:
Gerald is a baby boy’s name of German origin that means “ruler with a spear”. It derives from the terms “ger” meaning “spear” and “wald” meaning “rule”. Gerald is common in German, Dutch, Irish, and English-speaking countries.
Symbolism of the Name Gerald:
The spear is a traditional symbol of a soldier and warrior. In the medieval period, it was more common for a soldier to carry a spear than a sword because they were easier and cheaper to produce. Germanic knights are often depicted carrying tall spears.
Nicknames for the Name Gerald:
Gerald is a sophisticated sounding name! There are several nicknames for this name that sound just as classy, such as Gary and Raul. Others are more informal, like Jerry and Reg. Check out the full list here:
Style of the Name Gerald:
Gender of the Name Gerald:
Gerald is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Gerald:
JEHR-əld (English), GEH-ralt (German)
Number of Syllables in the Name Gerald:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Gerald:
Gerald evokes feelings of refinement and class.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Gerald:
Jerald, Geralt, Jeralt, Gherald
Popularity of the Name Gerald:
According to the Social Security Administration, Gerald is a popular baby boy’s name. Gerald was in the top 1,000 baby names until 2021. It was in the top 100 names from 1908 to 1971. It peaked at #19 in 1938 and 1939. It last ranked in the top 1,000 in 2020 at 955.
Related Names for the Name Gerald:
Great Middle Names for the Name Gerald and Their Meanings:
- Finn (white, fair)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Arlo (between two hills)
- Otto (wealthy)
- Milo (soldier, merciful)
- Silas (wood, forest)
- Elias (Yahweh is God)
- Micah (who is like the Lord)
Famous People with the Name Gerald:
- Gerald Scarfe (English cartoonist and illustrator)
- Gerald “Jerry” Trainor (American actor)
- Gerald Edelman (American biologist and winner of the Nobel Prize)
- Gerald “Gerry” Goffin (American songwriter)
- Gerald Jermaine Wallace (American basketball player)
Gerald in Popular Culture:
- Gerald O'Hara (literature, “Gone with the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell)
- Gerald Johanssen (television, “Hey Arnold!”)
- Gerald (film, “Finding Dory”)
- Gerald Broflovski (television, “South Park”)
- Gerald Winters (television, “NYPD Blue”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatiana Katsai/Shutterstock.com.