Floyd is a super-common name, but it's a bit outdated. You might even say it's got “grandpa” appeal. It was a top 100 baby name during the first half of the 20th century, which makes it a bit old-fashioned, but old-fashioned names are in right now, so Floyd could easily make a come back as either a given name or a one-syllable middle name. If you do choose it as a given name, pair it with a multi-syllable middle name, like Alexander, Harrison, or Benjamin, to give it some depth.
Meaning of the name Floyd:
Origin of the name Floyd:
Floyd is an English version of the Welsh name Llwyd, which means “gray-haired.”
Symbolism of the name Floyd:
Floyd is a bit of a “grandpa” name, and its meaning is “gray-haired,” which can add to its old-fashioned sound. For this reason, new parents may find that it's symbolic of a simpler time. Several figures from pop culture, like boxer Floyd Mayweather, or the lovable barber on “The Andy Griffith Show,” Floyd Lawson, could also inspire the name.
Style of the name Floyd:
Gender of the name Floyd:
Floyd is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Floyd:
Number of syllables in the name Floyd:
Emotion evoked from the name Floyd:
The baby name Floyd evokes images of someone who is laid back and has a great sense of humor.
Alternative spellings for the name Floyd:
Nicknames for the name Floyd:
Popularity of the name Floyd:
According to the Social Security Administration, Floyd was a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States up until 1998. It was a top 100 baby name up until 1940. It last ranked at number 978 in 1998.
Related names for the name Floyd:
Great middle names for Floyd and their meanings:
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Archie (genuine and bold, bowman)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Harrison (son of Harry)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Jackson (son of Jack)
- Joseph (God increases)
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
Famous people with the name Floyd:
- Floyd Mayweather, Sr. (boxer and trainer)
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (boxer)
- Floyd Bannister (baseball player)
- Floyd Council (blue musician)
- Floyd Gottfredson (cartoonist)
Floyds in popular culture:
- Floyd Lawson (character on “The Andy Griffith Show”)
- Dr. Floyd Charles (character from the “Left Behind” book series)
- Floyd Lawton (character from the DC Comics universe)
- Floyd Malloy (character on the TV show “M.A.S.K.”)
- Floyd Pepper (character on the TV show “The Muppet Show”)