When you hear the name Orson, you may imagine a kind-hearted person. This association would be correct, as the title means “bear cub.” Orson remains a relatively rare name in America, however, as it is only a top 3,378 option.
Meaning of the name Orson:
Latin: bear cub
English: bear cub
Origin of the name Orson:
The baby name Orson was originally a nickname among the Norman people. They got it from the French word “ors,” which originated from the Latin “Ursus.” After the Norman Invasion, the nickname spread to England, where it eventually became a given first name.
Symbolism of the name Orson:
The baby name Orson means “bear cub” because of the French word “ors” to start. This word translates to “bear.” “Ors” is a variation of the Latin “Ursus,” however, which means the same.
Style of the name Orson:
Gender of the name Orson:
Orson is a wholesome name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Orson:
Number of syllables in the name Orson:
Emotion evoked from the name Orson:
Orson is wholesome and tender-hearted. It is strong and mature.
Alternative spellings for the name Orson:
Nicknames for the name Orson:
Popularity of the name Orson:
Orson is an adorable baby name, but it was only a top 1,000 option for one year. In 1901, it was ranked number 921 for boys. As of 2020, it is a top 4,000 option at number 3,378.
Related names for the name Orson:
Great middle names for Orson and their meanings:
- Gray (someone with gray hair)
- Brandt (sword, fiery torch, beacon)
- Malachi (messenger of God)
- Fox (wild animal in dog family)
- Atticus (belonging to Attica)
- Finch (songbird)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Leander (lion man, brave man)
Famous people with the name Orson:
- Orson Welles (actor, film director, “Citizen Kane”)
- Orson Bean (actor, “Being John Malkovich”)
- Orson Card (novelist)
- Orson Chaplin (actor, “Nightmare Cinema”)
- Orson Fowler (phrenologist)
Orsons in popular culture:
- Orson Hodge (character from “Desperate Housewives”)
- Orson J. Pig (character from “US Acres”)
- Orson Bailey (character from “The 4400”)
- Orson Krennic (character from “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”)
- Orson (character from “Mork & Mindy”)
- Orson Pink (character from “Doctor Who”)
- Orson (character from “The Middle”)