Logan is a unisex baby name of Scottish and English origin meaning “small hollow”. While Logan is traditionally a boy’s name it has risen in popularity as a girl’s name since 1988.
Meaning of the name Logan:
Scottish/English: small hollow
Origin of the name Logan:
Logan is an English and Scottish name meaning “small hollow”. Logan derives from a Scottish surname for people from Auchinleck, in Ayrshire.
Symbolism of the name Logan:
A hollow is a small valley usually around an offshoot of a river. A hollow is a cozy, safe place where animals often make their dens.
Style of the name Logan:
traditional (boys), modern (girls)
Gender of the name Logan:
Logan is a name for both girls and boys.
Pronunciation of the name Logan:
Number of syllables in the name Logan:
Emotion evoked from the name Logan:
Logan evokes feelings of strength and caring.
Alternative spellings for the name Logan:
Nicknames for the name Logan:
Popularity of the name Logan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Logan has been in the top 1000 boys’ names since 1900. It has been in the top 100 since 1991. As a girl’s name, Logan has been in the top 1000 since 1988 and peaked at #257 in 1996.
Related names for the name Logan:
Great middle names for the name Logan and their meanings:
Famous people with the name Logan:
- Logan Lerman(American actor)
- Logan Marshall Green (American actor)
- Logan Mankins (American football player)
- Logan Allen Pause (American soccer player)
Logans in popular culture:
- Logan aka Wolverine (X-Men Marvel Universe)
- Logan Bruno (literature, “The Babysitters Club” by Ann M. Martin)
- Logan Fell (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Logan Huntzberger (television, “Gilmore Girls”)