Lewis is an anglicized version of the French name Louis, and one of the most popular names for baby boys in the United States. It was even a top 100 name during the first half of the 20th century, and it's currently making a comeback. The name pairs well with a variety of middle names and is often associated with royalty, literature and history.
Meaning of the Name Lewis
Lewis is derived from the French name Louis, which is derived from the German name Ludwig. The elements that make up the name Ludwig mean “fame” and “war.”
The name Lewis means “famous warrior,” so it may symbolize someone who is tough and brave. Because of the author Lewis Carroll, it's often considered a literary name as well. Lewis and the French version, Louis, have also been associated with nobility and royalty.
Nicknames for Lewis
The name Lewis evokes images of someone who is adventurous and fun-loving. For such a kind name like Lewis, it's a fun opportunity to come up with an exciting nickname that's unique to their personality. We've come up with a list of possible options, but feel free to come up with your own.
Lewis Name Details
Gender: Lewis is traditionally considered to be a boys name.
Alternative Spelling for Lewis
Lewis Name Popularity
Lewis has been one of the top 1,000 baby names for boys in the United States since at least 1900. As of 2020, it ranks at
Related Names for Lewis
Great Middle Names for Lewis and Their Meanings
- Drake (dragon, male duck)
- Hudson (son of Hud or Hugh)
- Cade (round or barrel)
- James (supplanter)
- Finn (white or fair-haired)
- River (river)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Soloman (peace)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
Famous People Named Lewis
- Lewis Black (comedian)
- Lewis Carroll (author)
- Lewis Nash (musician)
- Lewis Burton (tennis player)
- Lewis Swift (astronomer)
- Lewis Nicola (military officer)
Lewis in Popular Culture
- Lewis (character on the TV show “The Simpsons”)
- Lewis Bodine (character in the movie “Titanic”)
- Lewis Skolnik (character from the “Revenge of the Nerds” movies)
- Lewis Zimmerman (character from the “Star Trek” franchise)
- Lewis Kiniski (character from the TV show “The Drew Carey Show”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anicka S/Shutterstock.com.