The baby name Harper is hot hot hot right now. It shot up the list of the top 1,000 baby names so fast we barely saw it coming. It wasn't even on the map in 2003, but by 2015 it was in the top ten, and it appears to be here to stay for a while. The name has musical roots, is traditionally a surname and many new parents love its literary association. Harper is also a popular baby name for celebrities.
Meaning of the name Harper:
English: Harp player
Origin of the name Harper:
Harper is a modern derivative of the Anglo-Saxon word “hearpere,” which was a surname and occupation name during the Middle Ages. It literally translates to “person who plays the harp.”
Symbolism of the name Harper:
Because the name Harper means “harp player,” many people find the name to be musical or symbolize music.
Style of the name Harper:
Gender of the name Harper:
Harper is both a boy's and a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Harper:
Number of syllables in the name Harper:
Emotion evoked from the name Harper:
Because of its association with music and literature, the baby name Harper evokes images of someone who is creative.
Alternative spellings for the name Harper:
Nicknames for the name Harper:
Popularity of the name Harper:
Harper first made the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States in 2004. It reached the top 10 in 2015, according to the Social Security Administration. In 2020, it ranked at number 10.
Related names for the name Harper:
Great middle names for Harper and their meanings:
- Violet (purple flower)
- Avery (ruler of the elves)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Chloe (young green shoot)
- Amelia (work)
- Elizabeth (God is my oath)
- Poppy (red flower)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Rose (flower)
Famous people with the name Harper:
- Harper Lee (writer)
- Harper Simon (musician)
- Harper Williams (basketball player)
- Harper LeBel (football player)
Harpers in popular culture:
- Harper Stanhope (character on the TV show “Lost”)
- Harper Finkle (character on the TV show “Wizards of Waverly Place”)
- Harper(character from the movie “Things We Lost in the Fire”)
- Harper McIntyre (character from the TV show “The 100”)
- Harper Pitt (charcter from the play “Angels in America”)