Harlow is an English baby name. Harlow was primarily a boy’s name in the early 20th century but started to become popular as a girl’s name in 2009. Harlow is an alternative Harley and Marley.
Meaning of the name Harlow:
English: army hill, rock hill, temple mound
Origin of the name Harlow:
Harlow is an English unisex baby name that derives from an Old English surname for someone from an area in Essex, England.
Symbolism of the name Harlow:
Harlow is a place name that means “hill”. Hills were where villages were built as they were less prone to flooding during heavy rains.
Style of the name Harlow:
Gender of the name Harlow:
Harlow is both a boy's and a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Harlow:
Number of syllables in the name Harlow:
Emotion evoked from the name Harlow:
Harlow evokes feelings of refinement and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Harlow:
Nicknames for the name Harlow:
Popularity of the name Harlow:
According to the Social Security Administration, Harlow is a unisex baby name that popped into the top 1000 baby names a few times since 1900. As a boy’s name, it appeared on the top 1000 four times. As a girl’s name, it entered the top 1000 in 2009 and ranked #324 in 2020.
Related names for the name Harlow:
Great middle names for the name Harlow and their meanings:
- Sawyer (woodcutter)
- Emmett (universal)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Weston (from the western town)
- Grayson (son of the bailiff)
Famous people with the name Harlow:
- Harlow Shapley (American astronomer)
- Harlow Giles Unger (American historian)
- Harlow Herbert Curtice (American former CEO of GM)
Harlows in popular culture:
- Harlow Edison (film, “The Gazebo”)
- Bobbi Harlow (comic strip, “Bloom County”)
- Clarissa Harlowe (literature, “Clarissa” by Samuel Richardson)
- Red Harlow (video game, “Red Dead Revolver”)