Sawyer is one of the modern English unisex baby names that rose in popuarity in the 2010’s. The name means “woodcutter” and derives from a Middle English surname. Sawyer is a good alternative to names like Harley, Carter, and Alexis.
Meaning of the name Sawyer:
Origin of the name Sawyer:
Sawyer is a modern English unisex baby name that means “woodcutter”. Sawyer comes from a Middle English surname meaning “cutter of wood”.
Symbolism of the name Sawyer:
The woodcutter was the term used for the earliest workers in the lumber industry. Lumber was one of the largest industries in England at the time.
Style of the name Sawyer:
Gender of the name Sawyer:
Sawyer is a name used for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Sawyer:
Number of syllables in the name Sawyer:
Emotion evoked from the name Sawyer:
Sawyer evokes feelings of independence and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Sawyer:
Nicknames for the name Sawyer:
Popularity of the name Sawyer:
According to the Social Security Administration, Sawyer is a recently popular unisex baby name. As a boy’s name, Sawyer first appeared in 1991 and was in the top 100 names between 2015 and 2018. As a girl’s name, Sawyer first became popular in 2010 and peaked at #216 in 2018.
Related names for the name Sawyer:
Great middle names for the name Sawyer and their meanings:
- Miles (soldier or merciful)
- Liam (resolute protection)
- Logan (small hollow)
- Ethan (strong, firm)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Matthew (gift of God)
- Ella (all, completely; fairy maiden)
- Chloe (young green shoot)
- Ava (life; bird; water, island)
- Amelia (work)
- Hazel (the hazelnut tree)
Famous people with the name Sawyer:
- Sawyer Fredericks (American singer–songwriter)
- Sawyer Sweeten (American actor)
- Sawyer Fulton (American, professional wrestler)
- Sawyer Hartman (YouTuber)
- Sawyer Spielberg (son of director Steven Spielberg)
Sawyers in popular culture:
- James “Sawyer” Ford (television, “Lost”)
- Sawyer (film, “Dolphin Tale”)
- Sawyer (television, “Pokémon: XY”)
- Sawyer (television, “Camp Lakebottom”)
- Sawyer(literature, “She is One of the Boys” by E.M. Molleja)