Matilda, which may be more commonly known in Europe for its nickname Maud, is making a comeback. What was only a top 1,000 name only a few decades ago is once again a top 500 option. Consider Matilda as a strong choice for your daughter and a meaning full of pride.
Meaning of the name Matilda:
Origin of the name Matilda:
Matilda originates from the German name Mahthildis, who was the wife of Henry 1 the Fowler in Germany. The name was brought to England after the Norman Invasion in the Middle Ages, leading William the Conqueror's queen and granddaughter to have the name for themselves. Most individuals used both Matilda and Maud until the 1500s, but the name was revitalized in the 1800s.
Symbolism of the name Matilda:
The baby name Mahthildis translates to “strength in battle,” which is where the meaning “battle-mighty” comes from. Two German root words are used, including “math” and “hild.” The first means “might” or “strength,” while the other means “battle.”
Style of the name Matilda:
Gender of the name Matilda:
Matilda is a vintage name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Matilda:
Number of syllables in the name Matilda:
Emotion evoked from the name Matilda:
Matilda feels strong and hearty. It is very serious and vintage.
Alternative spellings for the name Matilda:
Nicknames for the name Matilda:
Popularity of the name Matilda:
The baby name Matilda was a top 200 name until 2008, though it remained on the top 500 list until 1936 and the top 1,000 list until 1964. The name did not return to the list until almost 50 years later in 2008 at rank 827. Matilda is slowly on the rise though at rank 478 in 2020.
Related names for the name Matilda:
Great middle names for Matilda and their meanings:
- June (young, June)
- Sue (lily)
- Ruth (friend)
- Bea (pilgrim, bringer of joy)
- Quinn (descendent of Conn)
- Joan (God is gracious)
- Lou (famous warrior)
Famous people with the name Matilda:
- Matilda Gage (suffragist)
- Matilda Lutz (actress, “Revenge”)
- Matilda Mackarness (novelist, “Tell Mamma”)
- Matilda Heron (stage actress, “Camille”)
- Matilda Jones (opera singer)
- Matilda Sturridge (actress, “Third Girl”)
Matildas in popular culture:
- Matilda Wormwood (character from “Matilda”)
- Matilda (character from “Robot Wars”)
- Matilda Santiago (character from “Elysium”)
- Matilda Hunter (character from “Home and Away”)
- Matilda (character from “A Waltz for Matilda”)
- Matilda Cook (character from “Fever 1793”)