Hal originated as a nickname in Old England, Germany, and modern America. It represented names like Harry, Harold, and Hallie. In modern times, Hal is a top 8,000 option at rank 7,976.
Meaning of the name Hal:
German: home ruler
English: home ruler, army ruler
Origin of the name Hal:
Hal began as the shortened form of Henry, Harry, or Harold. Harry was the English version of Henry in Medieval times. Henry itself comes from the Germanic Heimirich, which means “home ruler.” It comes from the words “heim” and “ric.” Harold comes from the Old English Hereweald. It comes from the words “here” and “weald.” In modern times, Hal became a nickname for Haley or Hallie, titles for girls.
Symbolism of the name Hal:
The baby name Hal has three different meanings and cultural origins. For boys, it is the shortened form of Harry first. Harry has the same meaning as Henry, as it was originally a nickname for it. Both titles translate to “home ruler.” Hal could also come from Harold, which translates to “army ruler.” Finally, Hal means “nickname” if it began as a modern diminutive for Hallie or Haley.
Style of the name Hal:
Traditional for boys, modern for girls
Gender of the name Hal:
Hal is a unisex and simple baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Hal:
Number of syllables in the name Hal:
Emotion evoked from the name Hal:
Hal feels simple and wholesome. It is a fun-loving and kindhearted baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Aden:
Nicknames for the name Hal:
Popularity of the name Hal:
Hal was on the top 1,000 list of the Social Security Popularity Index until 1975 at number 924. Hal did best in 1956 at rank 305. As of 2021, Hal is a top 8,000 option. It is number 7,976 for boys or girls.
Related names for the name Hal:
Great middle names for Hal and their meanings:
- Ashley (ash tree, from the ash tree field)
- Gwen (blessed, fair, white, holy)
- Fulton (fields of the village, people's estate)
- Madison (son of Matthew)
- Eric (forever ruler, always ruler)
- Tate (cheerful)
- Laurence (bright one, shining one)
- Dixon (son of Dick)
Famous people with the name Hal:
- Hal Johnston (acting first lady for James Buchanan)
- Hal Roach (film producer, actor, “Our Gang”)
- Hal Holbrook (actor, “Magnum Force”)
- Hal Smith (actor, voice actor, “Davey and Goliath”)
- Hal Linden (actor, “Barney Miller”)
- Hal Sparks III (actor, comedian, “Lab Rats”)
- Hal Rogers (Kentucky Congressman)
- Hal Ashby (film director)
Hals in popular culture:
- Hal Mikkelson (character from the “Brotherband Chronicles”)
- Hal Jordan (Green Lantern, DC Comics character)
- Hal Mason (character from “Falling Skies”)
- Hal (character from “Malcolm in the Middle”)
- HAL 9000 (evil computer in “2001: A Space Odyssey”)
- Hal Willis (character from the “87th Precinct” series)
- Hal Tucker (character from “Cliffhanger”)
- Hal Stewart (character from “Megamind”)