The baby name Madison did not become a widely used surname until 1984. Prior to that year, Madison was an English surname used for centuries. Now, the name retains a spot on the top 50 list, though it was on the top 10 list from 1998 to 2014.
Meaning of the name Madison:
English: son of Matthew
Origin of the name Madison:
Madison began as a surname in historical England. It was a variation of the surname, Mathieson, which means “son of Matthew.” The baby name became popularized during modern times as a first name after the release of the movie “Splash” in 1984.
Symbolism of the name Madison:
The baby name Madison was a surname derived from another surname, Mathieson. Both of these meant “son of Matthew” as they were names for families with a patriarch named Matthew. As a first name, Madison retains this historical meaning.
Style of the name Madison:
Traditional but popularized in modern times for first-name use
Gender of the name Madison:
The baby name Madison is primarily used for females.
Pronunciation of the name Madison:
Number of syllables in the name Madison:
Emotion evoked from the name Madison:
Madison is a name that feels rejuvenating and fresh. It feels youthful and fun.
Alternative spellings for the name Madison:
Nicknames for the name Madison:
Popularity of the name Madison:
The baby name Madison entered the Social Security Popularity Index in 1985, ranking at number 625 overall. It entered the top 50 list in 1996 at number 29 and immediately went on the top 20 lists in 1996. From 1997 to 2014, the name was in the top 10 list for girls, even reaching the number two spot for a few years. Now, the name ranks at number 23 for girls.
Related names for the name Madison:
Great middle names for Madison and their meanings:
- Riley (wood, clearing)
- Grace (grace, God's grace)
- Bailey (berry clearing, bailiff)
- Kate (pure)
- Reese (ardent, fiery)
- Danielle (God is my judge)
- Leona (lion)
Famous people with the name Madison:
- Madison Zieglar (professional dancer)
- Madison Beer (singer, “Melodies”)
- Madison Pettis (actress, “The Game Plan”)
- Madison Hubbel (professional ice dancer)
- Madison McLaughlin (actress, “Arrow”)
- Madison Hu (actress, “Voyagers”)
Madisons in popular culture:
- Madison (main character in “Splash”)
- Madison North (character on “All My Children”)
- Madison Clark (character on “Fear the Walking Dead”)
- Madison Paige (character in “Heavy Rain” video game)
- Madison Sinclair (character on “Veronica Mars”)