Laura is an English baby name that means “bay laurel” or “laurel”. Laura was in the top 100 for 56 years, between 1945 and 2001. Laura might not be the most popular name these days but it is still a sweet, classic girl’s name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Laura:
Laura is an English name that derives from the Latin name Laurus. Laura means “bay laurel” or “laurel”.
Symbolism of the Name Laura:
Bay laurel was an important plant in ancient Rome, as it was symbolic of victory. Wreaths of bay laurel were given to the victors in competitions and war.
Nicknames for the Name Laura:
In search of a great nickname for someone named Laura? Look no further! All of these great nicknames are derived from Laura:
Style of the Name Laura:
Gender of the Name Laura:
Laura is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Laura:
LAWR-ə (English), LOW-ra (Spanish, German), LOW-ru (Portuguese)
Number of Syllables in the Name Laura:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Laura:
Laura evokes feelings of wisdom and competitiveness.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Laura:
Popularity of the Name Laura:
According to the Social Security Administration, Laura is a popular girl’s baby name that has remained in the top 1,000 names since 1900. It remained in the top 100 names from 1945 to 2001. In 2022, the name ranked at 363.
Related Names for the Name Laura:
Great Middle Names for the Name Laura and Their Meanings:
- Rachel (ewe)
- Kate (pure)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Erin (from the island to the west)
- Amber (precious stone)
- Keira (little dark one)
- Ariana (most holy)
- Alessia (defending warrior)
- Hazel (light brown, hazelnut tree)
- Clementine (mild, merciful)
- Genevieve (tribe woman)
- Violet (purple)
Famous People with the Name Laura:
- Laura Ingalls Wilder (American novelist)
- Laura Prepon (American actress)
- Laura Leggett Linney (American actress)
- Laura Leigh (American actress)
- Laura Pausini (Italian singer)
Lauras in Popular Culture:
- Laura Wingfieldc (literature, “The Glass Menagerie” by Tennessee Williams)
- Laura Palmer (television, “Twin Peaks”)
- Laura Hellinger (television, “The Good Wife”)
- Laura (video games, “Silent Hill 2”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Aynur_sib.