Lars is a Scandinavian baby boy’s name that means “crowned with bay laurels”. Lars was at peak popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. One of the most famous bearers of the name is Lars Ulrich, the drummer for heavy metal band “Metallica”.
Meaning of the name Lars:
Scandinavian: crowned with bay laurels
Origin of the name Lars:
Lars is a baby boy’s name of Scandinavian origin that means “crowned with bay laurels”. Lars comes from the Roman name Laurent.
Symbolism of the name Lars:
Bay laurel was an important symbol to the Romans. Bay laurel crowns were given to champions of games of prowess and strength as well as returning victors in wartimes.
Style of the name Lars:
Gender of the name Lars:
Lars is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Lars:
LAHSH (Swedish, Norwegian), LAHS (Danish), LAHRS (Finnish), LARS (German)
Number of syllables in the name Lars:
Emotion evoked from the name Lars:
Lars evokes feelings of hard work and success.
Alternative spellings for the name Lars:
Laurs, Lahrs, Laars, Larz
Nicknames for the name Lars:
Popularity of the name Lars:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lars is a popular baby boy’s name. Lars was in the top 1000 baby names between 1958 and 1984. It peaked at #737 in 1961.
Related names for the name Lars:
Great middle names for the name Lars and their meanings:
- Owen (young warrior, well born)
- Finn (fair, white)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Arthur (bear)
- Alexander (defending men)
- Karl (free man)
- Emil (rival)
- Anton (from Antium)
- Viggo (war)
- Erik (eternal ruler)
- Johan (God is gracious)
Famous people with the name Lars:
- Lars Ulrich (Danish-American musician)
- Lars von Trier (Danish film director)
- Lars Erik Frederiksen (Danish-American musician)
- Lars Krutak (American anthropologist)
- Lars Onsager (winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry)
Lars in popular culture:
- Lars Bolen (media, “The Thing” series)
- Lars van der Hooten (film, “Princess Diaries”)
- Lars (television, “Futurama”)
- Lars (television, “Steven Universe”)
- Lars Linde (video game, “Return of the Obra Dinn”)