Scandinavians are gentle but hearty — strong in will and mind. It makes sense, then, that this list of Scandinavian baby names for boys is filled with names of similar qualities. From Bertlot to Latham to Jokith and beyond, peruse the meanings of each of these names and find the perfect fit for your son.
RELATED: Scandinavian Baby Names We Love!
- Aaren Aaren is a boyish Scandinavian name. Height seems to play a role in its meaning as it can mean lofty in a characteristic sense, like having lofty goals, or in a literal sense, as it also means “high mountain.”
- Asmund Asmund is a boy's name from Scandinavia. It means “golden protector” and is also a cognate of the name Osmond.
- Asva Asva is a Scandinavian name for speedy little boys. It means “swift like a horse.”
- BjornBjorn is a mighty Scandinavian name to give a boy. It means “bear.”
- Bodi Bodi is the sort of Scandinavian name you give to a boy in the hope that he will be safe. The name means “sheltered.” Variants of this name include Boden, Bode and Bodine.
- Bertelot Bertelot is an illuminating Scandinavian boy's name. It means “brilliant one.”
- Canute Canute is a Scandinavian boy's name with connections. The name means “tie in a knot.” Cnut is another spelling and one belonging to a Danish king who famously demonstrated that a king could not command the ocean.
- Dagen Dagen is a colorful Scandinavian boy's name. It means “dark-haired one.”
- Eilif Eilif is a memorable Scandinavian boy's name. It's meaning is “immortal one bound for greatness.”
- FinnFinn is a fair boy's name from Scandinavia. It means “fair one,” as in a pale color rather than being judicious. Finn is also the demonym for people from Finland and the country got its name for the large number of fair-skinned people inhabiting it.
- Havard Havard is a resilient Scandinavian boy's name. It means “high guardian.”
- Jokith Jokith is a boy's name from Iceland. It means “glacier,” a slow-moving but powerful natural object.
- Kare Kare is a Scandinavian name for boys suited for large shoes. The name means “enormous” and might be perfect for a rather large child.
- LarsLars is a winning boy's name from Scandinavia. It means “triumphant one.” Larsen is a variant spelling and Larson means “son of Lars,” or “son of the triumphant one,” if you prefer a bit more variety.
- Latham Latham is the sort of Scandinavian name given to boys in rural parts. The name means “barn-resident” or “barn-laborer” and might be great for the son of a farmer.
- Lief Lief is a Scandinavian boy's name full of contingencies. The name means “heir.” Lief Erikson is arguably the most well-known Lief in history due to being the first European to set foot on the North American continent.
- Marten Marten is a militant boy's name from Scandinavia. It means “son of Mars.” Mars was the Roman god of war. A marten is also a carnivorous furry cousin to the weasel that is known to inhabit Scandinavia and is the origin of the phone company Nokia's name.
- Mimir Mimir is a sagacious Scandinavian name for lads. The name can mean “wise one” or “one who easily recalls.” Mimir was a wise man whom was beheaded by Odin and kept alive so that Odin could seek his counsel and knowledge.
- Nanne Nanne is a kind Scandinavian name for boys. It means “merciful.”
- Olva Olva is a relational sort of Scandinavian boy's name. It means “downhill of the family” and could be chosen to symbolize the child as the next generation.
- Per Per is a rather blunt Scandinavian boy's name. It means “rock,” something known for being durable and steadfast. Peer is another known spelling of this name.
- Quirinus Quirinus is a distinguished Swedish name for boys. It means “spear.”
- Rorik Rorik is a colorful boy's name from Scandinavia. It means “red one” and might be perfect for a red-haired child.
- Sigurd Sigurd is an unbeatable Scandinavian boy's name. It means “victorious counselor.” Sigered and Siegried are other acceptable spellings. Sigurd is a mythological hero who slays a dragon, comes into possession of the Nibelungen's treasure horde and is known for carrying a legendary sword, Balmung, and a cloak of invisibility that also imparted the strength of twelve men upon its wearer.
- Thor Thor is a thunderingly iconic boy's name of Scandinavia. Thor was the Norse god of thunder and war and arguably one of the most well-known members of the Norse pantheon thanks to his depictions in pop culture media like Marvel Comics.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!