From Brynja to Freya to Dahlia, this list of Scandinavian baby names for girls is filled with a wide variety of strong yet feminine options. Check out the list, explore the meanings of each, and select the most fitting name for your daughter!
RELATED: Scandinavian Baby Names We Love!
- Agnes is a pristine Scandinavian girl's name. It means “chaste woman.”
- AstridAstrid is a beauteous Scandinavian girl's name. It means “divine beautiful” and can also be spelled as Estrid.
- Betla Betla is a pious Scandinavian girl's name. Its meaning is akin to a “woman who sees the divine in her oath.”
- Bimasha Bimasha is a memorable Scandinavian girl's name. It means “woman from the sea” and could be a find name for a child born on a sea vessel or along the coast.
- Botill Botill is a directing Scandinavian girl's name. It means “one who enjoys commanding” and could be a great first step in a career in politics or business.
- Brynja Brynja is the sort of Scandinavian name you give a girl in the hope that she will be safe. This name means “armored woman” and is pronounced “brin-ya.”
- Carianne Carianne is a blessed Scandinavian name to give a girl. It means “miraculous and pure.”
- CarinaCarina is a cherished girl's name from Scandinavia. Its meaning is “dear one.”
- Dagmara Dagmara is a pure Scandinavian girl's name. It means “maiden.” Amusingly, the removal of the a, yielding Dagmar, is a name that means “mother.”
- Dagna/Dagny Dagna and Dagny are two Scandinavian names for girls with the same meaning. These names mean “special day” and could be the perfect choice for a girl born on a holiday or other momentous event. Alternatively, you might choose this name so that the child will always know her birthday is special.
- DahliaDahlia is a Scandinavian girl's name with deep roots. The name means “she who dwells in the valley” and might work well as a name if the terrain of her birth or homeland is known for valleys, such as the state of Arizona.
- Else Else is a Scandinavian girl's name of propriety. This name means “one who is noble” and is also a shortened form of Elizabeth.
- FreyaFreya is a Scandinavian girl's name tied to mythology. Freya was a Norse goddess of love, beauty and death. Freyja is also an accepted spelling.
- Gefion Gefion is a cherished Scandinavian name for girls. It means “granter of prosperity and treasure. Gefjun is an alternate spelling.
- Hanne Hanne is a polished Scandinavian girl's name. It can mean “grace,” “charm” or “elegance.”
- Jennsen Jennsen, while more common as a surname is a girl's name from Scandinavia. It means “God's favor.”
- Kajsa Kejsa is a simple girl's name of Scandinavian origin. It means “pure” and is pronounced “kay-sa”
- LailaLaila is the perfect Scandinavian girl's name for a future night owl. The name mean's “night” and might be chosen because your little bundle of love decided to arrive when the sun was down.
- Nessarose Nessarose is a rather geographically specific yet fetching Scandinavian name for a girl. It means “the rose of the peninsula” and could make for a fine name for someone born in a place like Florida or Italy.
- Odda Odda is the sort of Scandinavian name you give a girl who has everything she could need. This name means “complete one,” meaning they will never be left wanting for more.
- RetaReta is the sort of Scandinavian name given to a girl who will speak her mind. The name means “advisor” or “speaker.” Other valid spellings include Rheta and Rhetta.
- Roselen Roselen is a very green-minded Scandinavian name for a girl. It means “beautiful as a rose.”
- Sigrid Sigrid is a winning Scandinavian name for girls. It means “victory-bringer.” Other variants include Signy and Sigrun.
- Tonje Tonje is a Scandinavian name for the irreplaceable new girl in your life. It means “pricless” and is actually pronounced with the J as a Y sound, “ton-yeh”
- Uzma Uzma is an influential Scandinavian name for girls. It means various words that all convey a sense of supremacy and grandeur.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!