Dahlia is a beautiful botanical name that holds its own against other floral names like Daisy, Iris, and Poppy. The name Dahlia is derived from the name of Swedish botanist Anders Dahl and appropriately means “Dahl’s flower”.
Meaning of the name Dahlia:
Swedish: Dahl's flower, the name of a flower
Origin of the name Dahlia:
Dahlia is the name of a flower that was named for the Swedish botanist Anders Dahl. Dahlia literally means “Dahl’s flower”.
Symbolism of the name Dahlia:
The dahlia flower has a rich history of symbolism and means engagement, love, wealth, and beauty. The dahlia flower was also an important religious symbol for the Aztecs.
Style of the name Dahlia:
Gender of the name Dahlia:
Dahlia is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Dahlia:
DAL-yə, DAHL-yə, DAYL-yə
Number of syllables in the name Dahlia:
Emotion evoked from the name Dahlia:
Dahlia evokes feelings of natural beauty and knowledge seeking.
Alternative spellings for the name Dahlia:
Dalia, Dahlya, Dalya
Nicknames for the name Dahlia:
Popularity of the name Dahlia:
According to the Social Security Administration, Dahlia is a girl’s baby name that first became popular in 2006 and has risen steadily in the ranks to #352 in 2020.
Related names for the name Dahlia:
Great middle names for the name Dahlia and their meanings:
- Leonora (bright, shining one)
- Birdie (bird)
- Fleur (flower)
- Nell (bright, shining one)
- Bee (she who brings happiness, honeybee)
- Cleo (glory)
- Blue (the color)
- Blanche (white)
- Dulcie (sweet)
- Hazel (the hazelnut tree)
- Maeve (she who intoxicates)
- Aurelia (the golden one)
Famous people with the name Dahlia:
- Dahlia Salem (American actress)
- Dahlia Duhaney (Jamaican sprinter)
- Dahlia Ravikovitch (Israeli poet)
- Dahlia Lithwick (American journalist)
Dahlias in popular culture:
- Dahlia Lynley Chivers (literature, Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris)
- Dahlia Gillespie (video game, Silent Hill)
- Dahlia Reinhold (video game, “Professor Layton”)
- Aunt Dahlia Travers (literature, Jeeves series by P. G. Wodehouse)
- Dahlia (television, “The Originals”)