Cleo is a unisex baby name of Greek origin that means “glory”. Cleo was popular both as a masculine and feminine name from 1900 to the mid-1950s. It has returned to popularity as a girl’s name since 2019.
Meaning of the name Cleo:
Origin of the name Cleo:
Cleo is a unisex Greek name that means “glory”. It is a diminutive of the names Cleopatra, Cleon, and Cleopas.
Symbolism of the name Cleo:
Cleo has a namesake in the Alstroemeria ‘Cleo' flower. It is a type of Peruvian lily with dense pink-purple blooms streaked with yellow and mahogany.
Style of the name Cleo:
Gender of the name Cleo:
Cleo is a unisex baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Cleo:
Number of syllables in the name Cleo:
Emotion evoked from the name Cleo:
Cleo evokes feelings of success and ambition.
Alternative spellings for the name Cleo:
Clio, Cleyo, Cliyo, Cleoh
Nicknames for the name Cleo:
Popularity of the name Cleo:
According to the Social Security Administration, Cleo is a popular baby name. As a girl’s name, Cleo was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1956 and returned in 2019. It peaked at #171 in 1907. As a boy’s name, Cleo was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1957. It peaked at #258 in 1915.
Related names for the name Cleo:
Great middle names for the name Cleo and their meanings:
- Ezra (help)
- Atticus (from Attica)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Cassius (hollow)
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- Callum (dove)
- Malcolm (devotee of St. Colomba)
- Hugh (mind, intellect)
- Evelyn (desired, water, island)
- Adelaide (noble, nobility)
- Elsie (pledged to God)
- Wren (little bird)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Mira (admirable, peace, female ruler, ocean)
- Isolde (ice ruler)
Famous people with the name Cleo:
- Cleo Laine, Lady Dankworth (English jazz singer)
- Cleo Page (Canadian rhythmic gymnast)
- Cleo Patra Brown (American jazz singer)
- Cleo Rocos (Brazilian-British comedienne)
- Cleo Pires (Brazilian actress)
Cleo in popular culture:
- Cleo (film, “Pinocchio”)
- Cleo (media, “Clifford the Big Red Dog” series)
- Cleo Sertori (television, “H2O: Just Add Water”)
- Cleo (film, “Invisible Sister”)
- Cleo de Nile (media, “Monster High”)