For parents expecting a daughter, there's often a built-in idea that she will be a princess. Whether she's raised as royalty or just valued as a special little girl, this list of girl names that mean princess is filled with beautiful options — some unusual, others not so much — that will ensure your daughter has a princess's start. Take a look!
RELATED: More Baby Names That Mean Princess
- Gamine A French word meaning “princess,” giving this name to a girl ensures a unique, fun-to-say name.
- Saina This name means “princess.” It is derived from Greek origins.
- Malavika A name originating from India, Malavika is unique, feminine, and gracious. The name means “Princess of Malawi.”
- Cleopatra A beautiful name for a girl that means “glory of her father,” its' most popularly known as being the name of Queen Cleopatra, Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt from 51 to 30 BC.
- PrincessIt doesn't get more straightforward than naming a girl Princess. The name is of English origin and means “daughter of a Monarch.”
- CamillaThis name means “princess warrior.” She'll be fierce and bold with this feminine name. Camilla has an Etruscan origin.
- Orla An Irish name meaning “princess,” Orla was the name of King Brian Boru's sister during the Middle Ages. It was a very popular name for girls in Ireland at this time.
- Suri The name Suri means “princess.” It was nearly unheard of until Katie Holmes chose the name for her daughter. The name is a derivative of the name Sara and has Hebrew origins.
- Ameerah Of Arabic origin, the name is gaining popularity across the world. It's given to girls who arrive during the harvest feast of Shavuot.
- SarahThis name is of Hebrew origin. It is an Old Testament name that means “princess.”
- SadieOriginally a nickname for the girl's name Sally, Sadie is now among one of the top names chosen for girls. The name was made popular by Joseph's mother, Sadie, in Biblical times.
- Rhianna Popularized by the R&B singer of the same name, Rhianna means “great queen,” which she'll certainly grow up to be one day. The name has Welsh origins.
- DianaThis name means “divine princess.” It comes of Greek origin. Princess Diana and Diana Ross are two popular celebrities sharing this name.
- TiaIn Spanish, the name Tia means “aunt,” although, in Greek, the name means princess. It is often used as a shortened form of longer names ending in Tia.
- Adalinda Perhaps a darker name like Adalinda is what you are looking for. This name means “dragon princess” though it still sounds elegant coming from the lips.
- Maelie Produced by Miley, this name has a Breton origin. It is the feminine version of the boy named “Mael.”
- Tiana The name of the first African-American Disney princess, Tiana is gaining popularity across the U.S. The name itself means “tiara” or “Christian woman.”
- Regina The name Regina means “Queen” It originates from Latin origins.
- Nafisa This Arabic feminine name is among the most popular in the Middle East. The literal definition of Nafisa is “something so good and valuable that people compete for it”,
- Demitra — This name has Spanish origins and means “noble woman.”
- Putri Though uncommon outside of Indonesia, it's very popular in the country. The name means “princess.”
- IsadoraThis name is the demine version of the name “Isidore.” It has Greek origin and means “the gift of the goddess Isis.”
- Frederica The name means “peaceful ruler.” It's not commonly given to a girl in the US but has popularity in other countries including in Germany where it originates.
- Almira This name means “the beautiful princess, the exalted one.” It has Arabic origins.
- Candace This name means “Queen mother.” Candace originates from the Bible and derives from the word “kandake.”
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Omnart /Shutterstock.com.