Camilla is a beautiful baby name with an international sound, especially when considering the Spanish pronunciation. Despite the tropical feel, Camilla dates back to ancient Roman times. It is now a top 300 name for girls.
Meaning of the name Camilla:
Latin: young ceremonial attendant
Origin of the name Camilla:
Camilla was a name created in Roman times, meant to be the feminine form of the baby name Camillus. The first and most popular instance of this name in history is the warrior maiden found in the book “Aeneid.” This increased Camilla's popularity, after which it entered England and the rest of Europe in the 1700s.
Symbolism of the name Camilla:
Camilla has the same meaning as the ancient Roman name for boys, Camillus. The name is likely related to the Latin word “camillus” meaning “a young ceremonial attendant,” but others believe that it comes from the word for “perfect.”
Style of the name Camilla:
Gender of the name Camilla:
Camilla is a baby name for girls with an international flair.
Pronunciation of the name Camilla:
kuh-MIL-uh or ka-MEE-la
Number of syllables in the name Camilla:
Emotion evoked from the name Camilla:
Camilla feels international, tropical, and regal. It is very feminine and classy.
Alternative spellings for the name Camilla:
Nicknames for the name Camilla:
Popularity of the name Camilla:
The baby name Camilla did not find a place on the top 400 list until 2013. After a few years, and as of 2019, it became a top 300 name. As of 2020, Camilla has the highest ranking it has ever had at rank 257, though the alternative spelling, Camila, is rank 11.
Related names for the name Camilla:
Great middle names for Camilla and their meanings:
- Estelle (star)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Belle (beautiful)
- Phoebe (bright, shining)
- Daphne (laurel)
- Mirelle (wonderful, prosperous, peace)
- Raine (she is singing, queen)
Famous people with the name Camilla:
- Camilla Bowies (wife of Prince Charles of the U.K.)
- Camilla Routh (actress, “10,000 B.C.”
- Camilla Mackintosh (reality TV star, “Made in Chelsea”)
- Camilla Luddington (actress, “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Camilla Hansson (Miss Sweden from 2014)
- Camilla Martin (Olympic badminton star)
Camillas in popular culture:
- Camilla of the Volsci (character from the “Aeneid”)
- Camilla Macaulay (character from “The Secret History”)
- Camilla Tyrold (character from “Camilla”)
- Camilla Dickenson (main character from “Camilla Dickenson” novel)
- Camilla Fortescue (character from “Call the Midwife”)