Camila is a baby name that has its roots in the ancient Roman masculine name Camillus. Camilla was a character from Virgil’s “Aeneid” who was a powerful warrior maiden and huntress in service to the goddess Diana.
Meaning of the name Camila:
Roman: helper of the priest, warrior maiden, camellia flower
Origin of the name Camila:
Camila is the Spanish, Portugese, and Italian form of Camilla. It can be traced to ancient Rome and is the feminine form of the name Camillus. The camellia flower which was named for the 17th century botanist Georg Joseph Kamel.
Symbolism of the name Camila:
The camellia flower is symbolic of the love between two people. It symbolizes passion, adoration, and protection. In the language of flowers, red camellias were a love token.
Style of the name Camila:
Gender of the name Camila:
Pronunciation of the name Camila:
Number of syllables in the name Camila:
Emotion evoked from the name Camila:
Camila evokes feelings of love and thoughts of nature.
Alternative spellings for the name Camila:
Nicknames for the name Camila:
Popularity of the name Camila:
According to the Social Security Administration, Camila has been a popular baby name since 1997. The popularity of the name has steadily increased every year. Camila ranked #11 in 2020.
Related names for the name Camila:
Great middle names for Camila and their meanings:
- Sofia (wisdom)
- Diana (heavenly, divine)
- Marie (beloved)
- Erin (Ireland)
- Poppy (red flower)
- Hope (hope)
- Edith (fortune of war)
- Lyra (constellation of stars)
Famous people with the name Camila:
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (British royal family)
- Camila Mičijević (Bosnian-Croatian handball player)
- Camila Martins Pereira (Brazillian footballer)
- Camila María Concepción (American singer-songwriter and activist)
- Camila Vezzoso (Uruguayan model crowned Miss Uruguay 2012)
Camilas in popular culture:
- Camilla of the Volsi (literature, Virgil’s Aneid)
- Camilla (television, “The Muppet Show”)
- Camila Torres (television, “Violetta”)
- Camilla (video games, “Fire Emblem Fates”)