Lyra is a modern name that comes from a constellation. It has a meaning of “lyre” as the stars are shaped like a magical harp. The name only entered the top 1,000 most popular in 2015, and it is already a top 600 option.
Meaning of the name Lyra:
Origin of the name Lyra:
Lyra only just began as a baby name, but it has long been the name for a constellation. It is said to be the stars that form the shape of the lyre that belonged to Orpheus, a character in Greek mythology. The name only became a top 1,000 option in America in 2015.
Symbolism of the name Lyra:
Lyra means “lyre” as it represents the same constellation meant to be Orpheus' lyre. It is a great name choice if you are a family that loves music.
Style of the name Lyra:
Gender of the name Lyra:
Lyra is a girl's name based on a constellation.
Pronunciation of the name Lyra:
Number of syllables in the name Lyra:
Emotion evoked from the name Lyra:
Lyra feels unique, trendy, and modern. It still has a delicate beauty about it though that gives it feminity.
Alternative spellings for the name Lyra:
Nicknames for the name Lyra:
Popularity of the name Lyra:
Lyra became a top 1,000 name option in America in the year 2015 at rank 977. The name became a top 600 option in 2020. The specific rank it has is 552 for girls.
Related names for the name Lyra:
Great middle names for Lyra and their meanings:
- Alice (noble)
- Eve (life giver)
- Juniper (young, evergreen)
- Nova (new)
- Daphne (laurel)
- Cosette (victorious)
- Harmony (perfect unity)
- Shae (hawk)
Famous people with the name Lyra:
- Lyra Sheen (daughter of Michael Sheen)
- Lyra Sheeran (daughter of Ed Sheeran)
- Lyra Taylor (famous social worker in New Zealand)
Lyras in popular culture:
- Lyra Belacqua (character from “His Dark Materials” trilogy)
- Lyra (character from “Fullmetal Alchemist”)
- Lyra the Sunshard (character from “Hearthstone” video game)
- Lyra (character from “Pokemon” video games)
- Lyra Erso (character from “Rogue One”)