Rae is a unisex baby name that is a diminutive of Rachel (meaning “ewe”), a diminutive of Raymond (meaning “advice, protector”), or a variant spelling of Ray (meaning “beam of light”). Rae has been a popular name since 1900, peaking in 1903.
Meaning of the name Rae:
English: ewe, a beam of light, advice, protector
Origin of the name Rae:
Rae is an English name with several possible origins. As a feminine name, Rae is a diminutive of the Hebrew name Rachel and means “ewe”. As a boy’s name, Rae is a diminutive of Raymond and means “advice, protector”. Rae is also a unisex name that is a variant spelling of Ray and means “beam of light”.
Symbolism of the name Rae:
Rae is a variant spelling of the English word “ray”, which means “beam of light”. Light is a universal symbol of ingenuity, inspiration, safety, healing, divinity, and guidance.
Style of the name Rae:
Gender of the name Rae:
Rae is a unisex baby name given to both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Rae:
Number of syllables in the name Rae:
Emotion evoked from the name Rae:
Rae evokes feelings of positivity and leadership.
Alternative spellings for the name Rae:
Ray, Raye, Rei, Rai, Rey
Nicknames for the name Rae:
There are no common nicknames for Rae.
Popularity of the name Rae:
According to the Social Security Administration, Rae is a common unisex baby name. As a girl’s name, Rae was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1982, peaking at #369 in 1903. As a boy’s name, Rae has never been in the top 1000 baby names.
Related names for the name Rae:
Great middle names for the name Rae and their meanings:
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- Tobias (God is good)
- Owen (young warrior, well-born)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Theo (gift of God)
- Asher (fortunate, blessed, happy one)
- Lucas (man from Lucania)
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Juliet (youthful, sky father)
- Adelaide (noble, nobility)
- Alys (noble)
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Evelyn (desired, water, island)
- Cora (maiden)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
Famous people with the name Rae:
- Rae Dawn Chong (Canadian actress)
- Rae Ritke (American actress)
- Rae Allen (American actress)
- Rae Armantrout (American poet)
- Rae Baker (English actress)
Rae in popular culture:
- Rae Karly (literature, “Rightful” by Pamela Memmott)
- Rae Wilson (television, “Hollyoaks”)
- Rae Cummings (television, “One Life to Live”)
- Rae Earl (television, “My Mad Fat Diary”)
- Raven “Rae” Baxter (television, “That’s So Raven!”)