Eloise is the modern version of a classic French name, and it has seen a major surge in popularity throughout the 2010s. There's a chance it will become even more beloved as a baby name for girls in the 2020s. You can thank a famous children's literary character, a well-admired 12th-century abbess and a newfound love for old-fashioned names for its rise through the ranks.
Meaning of the name Eloise:
French: Famous warrior
German: Healthy or robust
Origin of the name Eloise:
Eloise is the modern English form of the vintage French name “Héloïse.” It was derived from the German name “Helewidis.”
Symbolism of the name Eloise:
Because the popularity of the name Eloise dates back to an infamous French abbess with a tragic love story, the baby name is often thought of in associated with love and passion.
Style of the name Eloise:
Gender of the name Eloise:
Eloise is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Eloise:
Number of syllables in the name Eloise:
Emotion evoked from the name Eloise:
Eloise's French origins evoke the image of class and sophistication.
Alternative spellings for the name Eloise:
Nicknames for the name Eloise:
Popularity of the name Eloise:
Eloise has been on and off the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States since 1900, but it's more popular now than ever. In 2020, it ranked at number 138, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Eloise:
Great middle names for Eloise and their meanings:
- Pearl (smooth round bead)
- Joy (great happiness)
- Charlotte (free man or petite)
- Rose (flower)
- Rachel (ewe)
- Margaret (pearl)
Famous people with the name Eloise:
- Eloise Mumford (actress)
- EloiseOrange-Nassau van Amsberg (countess and member of the Dutch royal family)
- Eloise Wellings (Olympic long-distance runner)
- Eloise Laws (singer)
- Eloise Jarvis McGraw (children's book author)
Eloises in popular culture:
- Eloise Drew (character in the “Nancy Drew” book series)
- Eloise (titular character in the “Eloise” children's book series)
- Eloise Midgen (character in the “Harry Potter” books and films)
- Eloise Hawking (character on the TV show “Lost”)
- Eloise Pritchart (character in the “Honorverse” book series)