Joy is an elegant and jubilant baby name for girls. Unmatched in simplicity and uplifting in connotation, this name brings gladness to any social context. The name also plays a lively role in popular culture. Joy is the protagonist of the animated film Inside Out, Joy Ruth Keenan is the main character in the television series Bones, and Joy Farrah Turner is a central character in the television show My Name is Earl. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Joy:
Origin of the name Joy:
Joy is the English synonym for “happiness.” The name entered the English language via the Norman French word joie. This word ultimately derived from the Latin expression gaudia (meaning “gladness” or “delight”). Although recorded as a given name since the Middle Ages, the Puritans of New England popularized the name beginning in the 19th century. Due to Puritan culture, Joy became a common virtue name (along with related attribute names such as Hope, Constance, Faith, Patience, Felicity, and Amity).
Symbolism of the name Joy:
Joy originated from the Latin word gaudia (meaning “happiness,” “gladness,” or “delight”). Latin was the official language of the Roman Empire, and all Romance languages descend from this script. As a result, this foundational philosophy of joy appears throughout Romance languages and culture. Known as the “joy of life” (or joie de vivre in French and gioia di vivere in Italian), this philosophy entails using all five senses to live every day to the fullest. Classical symbols of joy include the sunflower and the uninhibited smile.
Style of the name Joy:
Gender of the name Joy:
Joy is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Joy:
Number of syllables in the name Joy:
Emotion evoked from the name Joy:
The name Joy evokes feelings of elation and exuberance.
Alternative spellings for the name Joy:
Nicknames for the name Joy:
Popularity of the name Joy:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Joy was the 396th most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Joy has ranked among the top 500 baby girl names since 2012.
Related names for the name Joy:
Great middle names for Joy and their meanings:
- Allegra (cheerful, lively)
- Bethany (house of figs)
- Charlize (free man, warrior, petite)
- Darlene (darling, dear)
- Elizabeth (my God is an oath)
- Harper (harp player)
- Iona (island, dove)
- Stephanie (crown)
- Susannah (lily)
- Vashti (beautiful, good, excellent)
Famous people with the name Joy:
- Joy Adamson (naturalist)
- Joy Marie Burke (basketball player)
- Joy Victoria Behar (comedienne)
- Joy Rae Brown (actress)
- Joy Elizabeth Crookes (songwriter)
- Joy Charity Enriquez (singer)
- Joy Lynn Fawcett (soccer player)
- Joy Lauren Jorgensen (actress)
- Joy Destiny Tobing (singer)
- Joy Annabelle Womack (ballerina)
Joy in popular culture:
- Joy (protagonist of the animated film Inside Out)
- Joy Ruth Keenan (main character in the television series Bones)
- Joy Mercer (character in the mystery series House of Anubis)
- Joy Farrah Turner (character in the television show My Name is Earl)