Darlene is a sweet and stunning baby name for girls. Commonly associated with the mid-century era, this name has left an indelible mark on popular culture. Darlene Connor was a character on the sitcom Roseanne, and Darlene Taylor is character on the soap opera Hollyoaks. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Darlene:
Old English: Darling, little dear one
Origin of the name Darlene:
Darlene originates from the Anglo-Saxon expression dēorel-ene (meaning “little dear one”). As an adjective, the Anglo-Saxon phrase evolved into the Old English dēorling and the Middle English derling (eventually producing the word “darling”). Since Darlene became widespread as a given name during the 20th century, some etymologists believe that the name simply combines the modern word “darling” with the popular feminine suffix -lene.
Symbolism of the name Darlene:
Darlene is a baby name that means “darling” or “dear one.” While some etymologists believe that Darlene is a primarily mid-century modern name, other experts emphasize the name's connection to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. These experts believe that Anglo-Saxon words dēorel-ene and dēorling were pet names that eventually became surnames with regional spelling variations. The noblemen Ælfmar Dyrling and Oter Dirlinges both represent examples of this regional variation. By the 1700s, however, Darlene had developed into a standardized surname with its own coat of arms. Symbols of Darlene include Britannia (the anthropomorphic personification of Britain) and the Anglo-Saxon helmet.
Style of the name Darlene:
Gender of the name Darlene:
Darlene is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Darlene:
Number of syllables in the name Darlene:
Emotion evoked from the name Darlene:
The name Darlene evokes feelings of affection and familial endearment.
Alternative spellings for the name Darlene:
Nicknames for the name Darlene:
Popularity of the name Darlene:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Darlene was the 999th most popular baby name for girls in 2004.
Related names for the name Darlene:
Great middle names for Darlene and their meanings:
- Alana (little rock)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Cassandra (excelling above men)
- Edith (prosperous, blessed, fortunate in war)
- Faye (fairy)
- Isaura (gentle breeze)
- Lark (songbird)
- Maura (star of the sea)
- Reyna (queen)
- Sue (lily)
- Therese (late summer, harvest)
- Yesenia (palm tree)
Famous people with the name Darlene:
- Darlene Carolynne Caamaño (film producer)
- Darlene Onita Garner (social activist)
- Darlene Faye Gillespie (actress)
- Darlene Ruth Hard (tennis player)
- Darlene Kay Olson (politician)
- Darlene Jean Pekul (calligrapher)
- Darlene Alice Quaife (novelist)
- Darlene Love Wright (singer)
- Darlene Rodriguez (actress)
- Darlene Joyce Zschech (songwriter)
Darlene in popular culture:
- Darlene Alderson (character in the series Mr. Robot)
- Darlene Connor (character in the television sitcom Roseanne)
- Darlene Taylor (character in the soap opera Hollyoaks)