Josie is a diminutive form of the French name Josephine. Josie manages to sound youthful and modern despite a long history of popularity in the US. The name was at peak popularity in the early 1900’s and a century later returned to the top 200 where it stays strong.
Meaning of the name Josie:
English: God increases
Origin of the name Josie:
Josie is the feminine diminutive of the Hebrew name Joseph. Josie was originally a nickname for the French name Josephine but became popular in the English-speaking world in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Symbolism of the name Josie:
There is a species of flower called the Josephine clematis. It symbolizes ingenuity, insight, and creativity because it can climb walls to reach sunlight.
Style of the name Josie:
Gender of the name Josie:
Josie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Josie:
Number of syllables in the name Josie:
Emotion evoked from the name Josie:
Josie evokes feelings of happiness and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Josie:
Nicknames for the name Josie:
Popularity of the name Josie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Josie has been in the top 100 names since 1900. The name sat in the top 200 names at the beginning of the century and returned to the top in 2017.
Related names for the name Josie:
Great middle names for the name Josie and their meanings:
- Belle (beautiful)
- Edith (prosperous in war)
- Elsa (pledged to God)
- Katherine (pure)
- Luna (moon)
- Theodora (gift of God)
- Violet (purple)
Famous people with the name Josie:
- Josie Bissett (American actress)
- Josie Davis (American actress)
- Josie Gibson (English television personality)
- Josephine “Josie” Ho (Hong Kong singer and actress)
- Josie Loren Lopez (American actress)
Josies in popular culture:
- Josie McCoy (media, “Josie and the Pussycats”)
- Josie Packard (television, “Twin Peaks”)
- Josie Pye (literature, “Anne of Green Gables” by L.M. Montgomery)
- Josie (film, “The Ballad of Josie”)
- Old Woman Josie (podcast, “Welcome to Night Vale”)