Elsie is a charming and feminine given name. Although its origins date back to antiquity, Elsie has a fresh sound that has risen in the ranks along with other contemporary names like Ella and Ellie. The name also has a prominent place in popular culture. Elsie Dinsmore is the titular character of the eponymous children's book series, and Elsie Hooper is the main character of a successful action series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Elsie:
Hebrew: My God is an oath
Scottish: Pledged to God, consecrated to God
Old English: Elf victory
Origin of the name Elsie:
Elsie originated as a diminutive of Elisabeth. This name is a version of the Hebrew Elisheva'. The name combines the Hebrew words ‘El (meaning “God”) and shava' (meaning “oath”). Elsie is also a diminutive of Elspeth. The name is a Scottish version of Elisabeth, and the Gaelic interpretation means “pledged to God.” Finally, Elsie is a modern spelling of the Old English name Ælfsige (an Anglo-Saxon word meaning “elf victory”). In this context, Elsie is both a given name and a surname in the United Kingdom.
Symbolism of the name Elsie:
Elsie means “my God is an oath” in several languages. The symbol for the oath is the right hand.
Style of the name Elsie:
Gender of the name Elsie:
Elsie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Elsie:
Number of syllables in the name Elsie:
Emotion evoked from the name Elsie:
The name Elsie evokes feelings of grace and jubilance.
Alternative spellings for the name Elsie:
Nicknames for the name Elsie:
Popularity of the name Elsie:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Elsie was the 233rd most popular name for girls in 2020. Elsie has ranked among the top 500 names for girls since 2011.
Related names for the name Elsie:
Great middle names for Elsie and their meanings:
- Amelie (work)
- Bernadette (strong, brave bear)
- Clarice (clear, bright, famous)
- Deveraux (riverbank)
- Marguerite (pearl)
- Mavis (songbird)
- Nicole (victory of the people)
- Olympia (mountain of the gods)
- Primrose (first rose)
- Vivienne (alive)
Famous people with the name Elsie:
- Elsie Edith Bowerman (suffragist)
- Elsie Kate Fisher (actress)
- Elsie Stanley Hall (pianist)
- Elsie Maud Inglis (doctor)
- Elsie May Kittredge (botanist)
- Elsie Jeanette Oxenham (writer)
- Elsie Margaret Wagg (philanthropist)
- Elsie Eleanore Wayne (politician)
- Elsie Jane Wilson (actress)
Elsie in popular culture:
- Elsie (bovine mascot of the Borden Dairy Company)
- Elsie Dinsmore (titular character of the children's book series)
- Elsie Hooper (titular character of the action series)
- Elsie Hughes (character on the period drama Downton Abbey)
- Elsie Tanner (character on the soap opera Coronation Street)