Elise is a baby name common in English-speaking countries that was popular in the early 1900’s. The name has enjoyed a renaissance in the last decade and risen to popularity once more.
Meaning of the name Elise:
French: My God is my oath and abundance
Origin of the name Elise:
Elise was originally a diminutive of the English girl’s name Elizabeth that became popular as its own name. Elise is now commonly used as a baby girl’s name in English speaking countries as well as Germany and Scandinavia.
Symbolism of the name Elise:
Elise has strong musician connections especially to the piano.
Style of the name Elise:
Gender of the name Elise:
Pronunciation of the name Elise:
i-LEES, EE-lees (English), eh-LEE-zə (German)
Number of syllables in the name Elise:
two or three
Emotion evoked from the name Elise:
Elise evokes feelings of grace and compassion.
Alternative spellings for the name Elise:
Elyse, Alyse, Ellise
Nicknames for the name Elise:
Popularity of the name Elise:
According to the Social Security Administration, Elise is a name that has remained in the top 1000 names for the last century. Elise was popular around the turn of the century and has been enjoying a resurgence since 2010.
Related names for the name Elise:
Great middle names for the name Elise and their meanings:
- Anabelle (lovable grace)
- Emilia (rival)
- Arya (noble)
- Josephine (she will add)
- Johanna (God is gracious)
- Lia (weary)
- Cassidy (curly haired)
- Nadia (little hope)
Famous people with the name Elise:
- Elise Thérèse Koekkoek-Daiwaille (Dutch painter and lithographer)
- Elise Burgin (American tennis player
- Elise Hwasser (Dutch actress)
- Elise Hall (American politician)
- Elise Neal (American actress)
Elises in popular culture:
- Elise (film, “The Swan Princess”)
- Elyse Keaton (television, “Family Ties”)
- Elise (video games, “Fire Emblem Fates”)
- Elise de la Serre (video games, “Assassin’s Creed Unity”)