Lise is a sweet and simple baby name for girls. Highly identified with European society, this name has also played an iconic role in popular culture worldwide. Lise Dassin is the name of a character in An American in Paris, and Lise Johansen was also a character in Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Lise:
Hebrew, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish: My God is an oath
Origin of the name Lise:
Lise is a Northern European short form of Elizabeth. The name Elizabeth derives from the Hebrew phrase אֱלִישֶׁבַע and means “my God is an oath.” In Northern European languages like Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish, Lise has two syllables (pronounced “LEE-seh”). For English and French speakers, Lise as also a nickname of Annalise. In this context, Lisa can have a one-syllable pronunciation (such as “LEES” or “LEEZ”).
Symbolism of the name Lise:
Lise is a European nickname for Elizabeth. Historically, the most famous bearer of the name Elizabeth was the heroine described in the Gospel of Luke. According to the New Testament, Elizabeth was the wife of Zechariah and the mother of John the Baptist. In the biblical account, the symbol of Elizabeth is the writing tablet.
Style of the name Lise:
Gender of the name Lise:
Lise is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lise:
Number of syllables in the name Lise:
Emotion evoked from the name Lise:
The name Lise evokes feelings of loyalty and love.
Alternative spellings for the name Lise:
Nicknames for the name Lise:
Popularity of the name Lise:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Lise was the 921st most popular baby name for girls in 1963.
Related names for the name Lise:
Great middle names for Lise and their meanings:
- Agatha (good, honorable, virtuous)
- Bonnie (pretty, attractive, cheerful)
- Caryn (pure, lovely, whole)
- Georgina (farmer, earth worker)
- Gianna (God is gracious)
- Fereshteh (angel, heavenly messenger, celestial being)
- Henrika (home ruler, hearth dweller)
- Nesta (chaste, pure, holy)
- Ninon (grace, mercy, favor)
- Odette (wealthy, rich, prosperous)
- Petra (stone, rock)
- Zorica (dawn, aurora, sunrise)
Famous people with the name Lise:
- Lise Marie Jeanette de Baissac (espionage agent)
- Lise Cabble (singer)
- Lise Dion (comedienne)
- Lise Gregory (tennis player)
- Lise Lindstrom (operatic soprano)
- Lise Magnier (politician)
- Lise Mayer (television writer)
- Lise Meitner (physicist)
- Lise Myhre (cartoonist)
- Lise Thériault (politician)
Lise in popular culture:
- Lise (village in the Široki Brijeg municipality of Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Lise Dassin (character in An American in Paris by Craig Lucas)
- Lise Johansen (character in Number the Stars by Lois Lowry)